So I Bought a 120 G Tank - Advice

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Help me decide with these 3 questions please.

Question 1)

I want an aggressive interactive freshwater predatory fish.

I want a killer that I am proud of. A monster with a personality that fills my heart with satisfaction.

But it must be a species that I can house in a 120G tank. Any suggestion?

Question 2)

What fish will you choose to house in a 120G tank (predatory or not)?

Question 3)

If I decide it to be a community tank. What should I go for?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Why ask if they were joking with the flowerhorn suggestions. You ask others opinion....get guppies

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I would never own a flowerhorn because I don`t like hybrids, I like those things found in nature. If I wanted the kind of fish that has a lot of personality and won`t outgrow a 120 gallon tank I would look at the mid-sized Central American cichlids. A Jaguar or a Freddy (my avatar is a Freddy) might be just the thing. Either one should allow you to keep a suitable catfish and maybe some largish barbs.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
A pair of jaguar cichlid would be perfect for 120g or a male Jag if you want a singly predator with great personality, or Cuban cichlid they are smaller than Jags. The best aggressive cichlid would be a Dovii but 120g is way too small for Dovii.
I got a friend keeping 14 inches male Jag and he feared to put his hand in the tank for maintenance, that thing will attack anything.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Midas are great but inept predators. I knew a guy that had one that would pile the gravel up against the front glass so you would have to get close and look over the gravel to see the fish which would then slam the glass in an attempt to get you. He had a lot of fun laughing at first time visitors!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store