So I Bought a 120 G Tank - Advice

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Midas are great but inept predators. I knew a guy that had one that would pile the gravel up against the front glass so you would have to get close and look over the gravel to see the fish which would then slam the glass in an attempt to get you. He had a lot of fun laughing at first time visitors!
My BP's do that, without banging the glass; wonder if its due to their heritage.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
120 solo fish? I've enjoyed my electric catfish immensely - plus he's exclusively hand fed. I've also been looking into lungfish recently, but I'm not sure any of the fun ones would be good in a 120 for life.

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Thank you for all the kind replies, guys. Jaguar Cichlid can grow up to 1 feet or 2 feet in length?

And how do I know I am buying a male jaguar cichlid?

Any tank mates or will it be over crowding?

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Odds are if you pick the largest fish in a tank you will have a male. You can keep some other fish in a 120 with an adult male but it`s best to grow them up together. Trying to introduce anything to an adult Jag`s tank is risky. A pleco species that gets large enough to not be eaten along with some Tinfoil Barbs or Bala Sharks could work but you want them larger than your Jag from the get-go.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Thank you for all the kind replies, guys. Jaguar Cichlid can grow up to 1 feet or 2 feet in length?

And how do I know I am buying a male jaguar cichlid?

Any tank mates or will it be over crowding?
In home Aquarium Jags very rare to get pass 16 inches so more like 14 inches, you can order a male Jag from Aquascapeonline call them and tell them you want a male jag.
About tank mates I wouldn't suggest anything cause when it claimed it territory it will kill anything else in there over time, some members suggest some big plecos should be fine but I'm not really fan of plecos :) You can also buy a bunch of baby jags and raise them up, if you luck out you will get a pair left (if you don't care about breeding then just let the nature take in when they spawn).

Hopping wolf fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
USA
My buddy has a bunch of jags and they are fine with tank mates. They just have to show off there dominance once and a whilehaha

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
if it is legal in your area, Get like a type of snakehead that dont grow too big.

cichlid man nz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2014
new zealand
my two cents get a oscar if you want something more aggressive get a jaguar cichlid . i no this next fish maybe a laught but a green terror aint bad mine dominates my texas cichlid or get a red devil all these fish can be a great addition for a solo 125 gal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store