So, I have a bit of an issue this morning.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I was feeding the Aros, one Silver and one Jardini. Both of these fish are small with the Silver about 8" and the Jardini pushing ~4". I was feeding the Carni sticks as I always do first so the Silver will fill up, the Jar doesn't eat them yet. After I fill the Silver I can then feed the meal worms to the Jar, if not the Silver will take them first. So I see the two fish swim up next to each other, flair their gills the Silver coils into an S shape and bang they explode. I few minutes later the same thing, three times and they settled down. As I watched it looked like the Jar was the one that instigated the fight as the Silver at twice it's size has been the dominant fish. It appears the Jar who is now bulking up and growing is starting to see thing differently. I thought I was going to have more time to decide which one to keep. The conundrum is which one to keep, as both have pros and cons. The silver will grow larger but allow other fish in the tank the Jar is worth more, will stay smaller (but as a larger turning radius) but is a virtual wolf in sheep's clothing. The family likes the Silver because it interacts and has more "personality" the Jar only comes around to eat. I thought I was going to have more time.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
It only gets worse from here Tom. If you want to drag your feet a little longer, dither fish or powerheads might be in your best interest.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It sounds like you answered your own question. In fact; I'm surprised you even considered the "value" of the fish - I mean, if you were seeing the fish as an investment to re-sell, that's one thing, but if this is a pet, then you've already answered your own question.

Sorry that this happened though.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Yeah I was just venting, I guess the Silver will get the nod. I know they are not thought very highly of by some but I got to tell you, it is the coolest fish I think I ever owned. Regal and majestic with the bearing of an aquatic aristocrat while at the same time personable and interactive all the attributes of a true wet pet.

So who wants a Jardini?

Al Cat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
The Republic Of The Feelippines
I have a jardini and a silver arowana too. silvers about 7.5 inches and the jars about 4 inches as well. what i had to do was just add some dither fish to get there attention silver dollars & tin foils do well when fights happen. another thing you could do is just add a separator glass. jardini's are said to be the most aggressive arowana in the species as well as the malaysian green these aro's are best kept with there own species.

best of luck with you and your aro's

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I do have other fish in the tank, so I'm not sure I don't want to separate the tank. I have a 7" Senegal Bichir, 2" Indo Dat two large Angel fish and a ~10" BGK also 8 serpae tetras which will eventually be eaten.

I guess I could run up to PetSmart and get some cheap SDs.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I use power heads in my tank an put them on timers. So every 5 minutes they go on and off keeping them occupied. They still mix it up once in a while

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Where in the tank do you put them? Blowing towards the top?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store