Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Spider Webs in a Salt Tank....

Discussion in 'General Salt' started by KellyFrancis, Mar 11, 2012.

1. KellyFrancis

KellyFrancis MFK Members

Primary occupation: Student, secondary, PCA for tw
      Stopped by an LPS, and noticed they had salt tanks so I decided to check them out to see what I could get and price things out. They had quite an assortment of critters and fish, including a seahorse in a tank with a mangrove shoot and some other salty shrubberies and what appeared to be some white spider-webby stuff. It was odd. Two of the girls there (who were clueless as far as fish go -- I mean, I'm clueless, these two were just wow!) stuck a pen in there to get it out and it just fell apart. I am curious...What was it? It almost looked like it was coming out of a shell in the bottom of the tank. The primary strand, a little thicker than the rest, ran from the sand to the top of the water. There were a couple of off-shoots and some on the LR, thin like...well...spider's silk.

2. Comatose

Comatose MFK Members

I've got a couple of these from time to time, and they came from a specific batch of live rock I got, and I recall person who sold it to me explaining what it was, googling it, confirming it was harmless for my purposes and then promptly forgetting. A few quick google searches just now didn't refresh my memory, so I'd recommend poking around google more if you don't get an answer here. I think it was a worm or something...

3. cichlid_king

cichlid_king MFK Members

machinist
      \

It could be Vermited snails. They have tubes that create the web

4. KellyFrancis

KellyFrancis MFK Members

I searched "Vermited snails" in google - thanks for the lead...I didn't know what to search for! - and all the pics looked wrong. I hit one from another forum and a guy said a "thread worm" except when I google "thread worm", I get parasites, not marine life. Anyone know another name for a thread worm?

My main concern was whether or not it was harmful for the tank. I was thinking about going back for the mangrove shoot if it wasn't. Thanks for the help guys!

5. Addikted2Cichlids

Addikted2Cichlids MFK Members

Top Secret
      Yeah, the only thing I can think of is a vermetid snail. I had one in my tank and I super glued the opening of the shell. Haven't had that problem since. My understanding is that they are harmless for the most part but they can multiply rapidly and can bother some corals with the mucus they expel to trap food that is floating in the water. If your positive it wasn't theses, I have no idea what they have in their tank.

6. jworth

jworth MFK Members

must be a vermited snail. Glue that dude in. Harmless, but obnoxious.

7. cichlid_king

cichlid_king MFK Members

machinist
      X2
      Yeah really the only thing bad about them is that they are a bother to some corals and they multiply rapidly.

Sent from my SCH-R880 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

8. KellyFrancis

KellyFrancis MFK Members

I'm really not positive of anything. Everything that the webs extended from in the pics online were different than the one in the tank at the LFS. I trust you guys though and thanks for the help!