Status
Not open for further replies.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Gar-Savy :D;3299853; said:
Ok so this may have nothing to do with the post but i just got a Florida Gar and i was wondering if a 125 gallon tank would be ok for it ..with a couple of oscers and some other semi large fish .?

NO on the tank size and NO on the tankmates.

He could live for maybe 2 years (assuming he is a YOY gar) in a standard 125, but would need something larger in the long run.

Also...gar are not typically the "aggressive predator" that people portray them as. Most of them do very poorly with SA/CA cichlids and other aggressive tankmates. They are easily out competed for food and can easily become victims of aggression. As durable as they can be...they can also be quite fragile.

xXMUFASAXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2009
wva
i would love to get a gar but they get to big

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
My gar lives with 2 Oscars and a bullhead catfish, senegal and a raphael. So far no agression, we'll see as time goes, but it can be done.

gary2200

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
wilmington DE
Gar are really cool fish, they are slow until the prey is in stiking range. They aren't aggresive but they also have a wide variety of tank mates. I have a 12" spotted gar and his favorite food is crayfish.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
wow another OLD thread dug up by the same person...please check the date before "answering" questions from many years ago. your other questions that you introduce are answered in other threads--
--solomon

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store