Stingrays and MBU-puffer

Akabir47

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Home of the brave.
Love the fish and combo! Very unique! But i wouldnt risk hurting those beautifull rays...

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Been keeping my 7" mbu with my newborn pups for the last 2 months with no problems. Will be moving it up to the juvie rays after another month or so. Hoping for the best.

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
Please never keep mbu's with rays. Have looked after plenty of mbu puffers up to 30" and would never dream of keeping them with rays. They are so inquisitive that all it will take is your ray to get spooked and bury itself, then the mbu cruises past and sees this little thing onthe sand then ! One blind stingray.
That plus the fact mbu puffers rift lake conditions for long term maintainance.

6floord

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2008
Manila
i've kept a 12" mbu with a 16" henlei and M Motoro for 5 years no problems whatsoever. I got rid of all the fish and tank 2 years ago.

I recently set up another tank @ my house and got back into fish. In it I have 4 rays and recently added a Mbu a month ago. Immediately found the ray disc had a slight nibble within 2 days of owning the mbu. I was in the process of moving the mbu out, but before that I added 3 10" armatus. This seems to have calmed down the mbu a lot.

I will attempt to cohab

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
I think anytime you are combining predators you are taking a chance. I agree this is a risky combo but if you know the fish you are combining and can watch closely I believe it is a very doable combo. Like mentioned above you may have to add other fish to make this work out and keep a near bare bottom tank. I think the deadliest thing I've tried putting with my rays so far is other rays. My leos if given time would slowly kill my other rays.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I have had my 12" Mbu with my 7 Rays for about 3 weeks now and haven't had a problem. But...I am still keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood...LOL

hondas3000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
BC, Canada
We do think our fish is like pet but they are not real pet like dog and cat and their behavior can change without us knowing. Beside Mbu have a strong bite so all it needs just one bite and enough to have major damage on the ray. Both ray and Mbu are beautiful and you wouldn't want any thing happen to either of them, if things does happen, please don't blame on Mbu :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store