Stingrays and MBU-puffer

isa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Singapore
U got nice ray collection luv your marble ray before anything happen to the ray take out the buffer fish this fella wack anything if hungry.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Would removing the sandy bottom reduce the chances of a mbu biting a stingray eye? Perhaps a tiled bottom....

eriken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2010
Oslo, Norway
Thanks for all the comments and advice about keeping my Mbu with my stingrays, especially from those who actually tried keeping Mbu’s and stingrays or at least have experience with Mbu’s. Although I suspect most of the advice come from people who have never tried keeping Mbu’s.

I think a lot of the advice came from people keeping Fahakas. But in my opinion comparing Mbu’s and fahakas is like comparing tigers to elephants, one being a notorious killer and the other one being a “gentle giant”. But I know – elephants can also turn dangerous…

Any way my Mbu have been living peacefully with my rays for more than 10 months now. So far so good. It has grown from 8 to almost 14 inch. There has been a couple of accidents during feeding, but the Mbu let go as soon as it discovered its mistake, leaving only faint marks on the rays disk.

I know it is a risky combination, but isn’t it what we all do: Keeping and mixing large and/or predatory fish?

Here is a YouTube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjdeE2O9z8

Reactions: Daily_Scrolling

DSM_Zak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Mill Creek, WA
www.facebook.com
Those are gorgeous rays, I have a ray myself, and this actually answered my question. What about a Columbian/Amazon/Bee Puffer? These get to 6" max size, and are commonly known to be the best puffer to keep with any other fish as they are rarely agressive at all. I had two of these guys, one had ich that I didn't know and when the second puffer was added, didnt treat in time and lost them both:(

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
great video of your stunning fish - good to see the combo work for you!!!!!!!!!!!! imo its worth the risks!

sea7ray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Liverpool
i have experience with both brazilian (C ascellus) and Mbu's. The first i have kept with Leopoldi's, the puffer didnt last needless to say. I also have experience with Mbus and other fish (malawi's) frankly feeding time was a frenzy and the mbu wiped out my yellow labs going for other food (he bit them in half by accident i presume because he spat them out). frankly having seen the damage that can be done and knowing Mbu's inquisitive nature i wouldn't chance it. if the ray actually registers the pain of any nibble/bite/chomp where exactly do you think the spines going to go?
Interesting point to note here is that not one person has said they have kept them together for 1year + that has to mean something.
(water wise Mbu's adapt to most water conditions as they originate from the congo and can be found in Tanganika so there shouldnt be a prob there).

In a long winded way id have to say i wouldnt chance it but if theres an issue im happy to take your leo off you!

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
sea7ray;4577322; said:
i have experience with both brazilian (C ascellus) and Mbu's. The first i have kept with Leopoldi's, the puffer didnt last needless to say. I also have experience with Mbus and other fish (malawi's) frankly feeding time was a frenzy and the mbu wiped out my yellow labs going for other food (he bit them in half by accident i presume because he spat them out). frankly having seen the damage that can be done and knowing Mbu's inquisitive nature i wouldn't chance it. if the ray actually registers the pain of any nibble/bite/chomp where exactly do you think the spines going to go?
Interesting point to note here is that not one person has said they have kept them together for 1year + that has to mean something.
(water wise Mbu's adapt to most water conditions as they originate from the congo and can be found in Tanganika so there shouldnt be a prob there).

In a long winded way id have to say i wouldnt chance it but if theres an issue im happy to take your leo off you!
I too kept MBU's with malawis and they always ended in tears....IMO it will cause the Rays a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store