styrofoam under tank?

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
toxicfish said:
The stand will be square (close to 90 deg as possible) and level when I'm done...
Now where is the best place to get the styrofoam sheets that big(72x24)? I am guessing home depot... lol

MFK ROCKS!!!
It may appear level, but what if its out by say 3-5mm at one end, or your tank maker made the tank on a surface with a 5mm variance from one corner to the other so the tank is not exactly square or the floor you sit the tank and stand on is not exactly level, or the wood the stand is made from warps due to humidity or temperature changes?

You put your tank on the stand under any of these circumstances, fill it with water and that 5mm variance has to go somewhere and the only point that will give will either be the silicon in the tank seams or the glass :( If your lucky the silicon will absorb the difference without placing too much strain on the joint -but if your not lucky or the differnce is greater than 5mm, then your in trouble.

...unless of course you have foam between the tank and stand ;)

I have seen tanks let go from this, believe me its worth it for the piece of mind!

Plumber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
here
I use cork on all my tanks. It makes up for any imperfections in the stand yet holds up very well. You can get rolls of it in various thicknesses at most craft and hobby stores for cheap. It may never happen (or it might) but it doesn't take much of an imperfection on your stand to create an unstable tank or make a pressure point that may or may not result in your tank leaking, cracking, or worse. Why not spend another few bucks for peace of mind? I say this because I know what it's like to come home and find 150 gal. of water all over the place and ALL FISH DEAD!

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
I agree with you 100% on that... I will deffently put foam between it:)

I know there will be a small variance from one end to another cause of the wood and warpage. I could always make a welded stand out of 1/4 3x3 steel angle Iron with leveling pads at work and it would always be square. I make these stands all the time and they are mostly within 100 thousand of an inch. But I want to do it with wood your way hardbOiled :thumbsup: cuz it looks better :D

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
plumber892003 said:
I use cork on all my tanks. It makes up for any imperfections in the stand yet holds up very well. You can get rolls of it in various thicknesses at most craft and hobby stores for cheap. It may never happen (or it might) but it doesn't take much of an imperfection on your stand to create an unstable tank or make a pressure point that may or may not result in your tank leaking, cracking, or worse. Why not spend another few bucks for peace of mind? I say this because I know what it's like to come home and find 150 gal. of water all over the place and ALL FISH DEAD!
yeah that would suck :(

Plumber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
here
toxicfish said:
yeah that would suck :(
Ya it did. Gotta figure not only the tank and fish, but also the water damage. For me it was hardwood flooring, sheetrock, paint, etc. I think I ended up spending about a grand on repairs plus a new tank and fish. Couldn't get the smell of dead fish water out of my house for weeks. It sucked bad.

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
plumber892003 said:
Ya it did. Gotta figure not only the tank and fish, but also the water damage. For me it was hardwood flooring, sheetrock, paint, etc. I think I ended up spending about a grand on repairs plus a new tank and fish. Couldn't get the smell of dead fish water out of my house for weeks. It sucked bad.
I dont want to do that, I just put down new hardwood flooring and moldings about 4 months ago

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Home Depot carries the foam board that I used. You can use either the blue or pink. Foam board is cheap insurance to help your tank last a long time.
KNH

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
KNH said:
Home Depot carries the foam board that I used. You can use either the blue or pink. Foam board is cheap insurance to help your tank last a long time.
KNH
thanks.... yeah foam board is kinda what I had in mind but wasn't sure.. Cuz I have no idea where to get sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" stryofoam that big

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
toxicfish said:
thanks.... yeah foam board is kinda what I had in mind but wasn't sure.. Cuz I have no idea where to get sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" stryofoam that big
No problem. They have 8' x 4' sheets in varies thicknesses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store