Tank Size Recommendations

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey when you guys have the time, can you guys make a sting ray tank size recommendation thread also?

It will help greatly! Don't know if it's been mentioned already

coolrunnings

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2011
i dont want to interrupt on this discussion but can someone please tell me the smalllest shark there is for aquariums? no ones really given me a direct answer

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Okay, I'm going to assume you're talking about home aquaria.

The smallest species of shark that you can get for home aquaria - is the Izu Catshark - it's a cool water species(water temps about 60F) from Japan, and it only grows to about 16 inches (41cm) in length. But these are fairly hard to find and fairly pricey -if you do find them.

The smallest tropical or warm water species - is the Australia Marbled Catshark - which is found in shallow tidal pools, of northern Australia.These are much easier to find and grow to about 24inches (61cm).

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
i dont want to interrupt on this discussion but can someone please tell me the smalllest shark there is for aquariums? no ones really given me a direct answer
I have been researching the same thing and I've been getting the same 40 to 60 cm answers, however I have found that there is much smaller shark that exist like Isistius brasiliensis (cookie cutter shark) which reaches 42cm and the smaller Pigmy shark Euprotomicrus bispinatus and spined pygmy shark Squaliolus laticaudus which reach only 22 cm. I also found a bunch of species of the lantern shark genus like the Dwarf Lantern Shark (Etmopterus perryi) that is only 17 cm (6.8") or the Thorny or Green lantern shark which are 27 and 23 cm. Also some other catsharks within the 30 cm range. I'm by no means an expert on sharks being that I have been only researching this for a couple of days, but I wonder why no one mentiones these?
Also I would like to mention that I have been looking at the chain cat shark and most resources mention max size of 1.5 to 1.7 feet, while here it was recorded up to 2 feet.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well sharks - such as the Cookie cutter & Lantern Sharks are virtually unknown in captivity - even in public aquaria - so there's no really estimate to use for figuring what these sharks may require in terms of tank size at this time.

As for Chain Catsharks - there's actually 5 different sub-species of this shark. And yes - most sources state the species reachs about 18-20 inches. But the largest sub-species is known to reach about 2ft . Where as the smallest sub-species is about 18-19 inches.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Well sharks - such as the Cookie cutter & Lantern Sharks are virtually unknown in captivity - even in public aquaria - so there's no really estimate to use for figuring what these sharks may require in terms of tank size at this time.
I see... well why don't we start first by identifying if those species are benthics or ORV and go from there by using the formulas to figure out the tank size they require. We could make a rough sugesstion for someone to start with and then gather info from people that try to keep them.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
If you talking in general - that's basically what we do on this thread.

But if your talking about specifically for sharks like Cookie Cutters & Lantern Sharks. It's because there's not alot of general information available, much less captivity information on these species. But what information is known about these species suggests that they are oceanic deep water species. And such species are known very hard to collect and keep alive in captivity, for any reasonable length of time. Basically it would require new models to figure out how to keep such sharks. Anything else would be just a guess.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
If you talking in general - that's basically what we do on this thread.

But if your talking about specifically for sharks like Cookie Cutters & Lantern Sharks. It's because there's not alot of general information available, much less captivity information on these species. But what information is known about these species suggests that they are oceanic deep water species. And such species are known very hard to collect and keep alive in captivity, for any reasonable length of time. Basically it would require new models to figure out how to keep such sharks. Anything else would be just a guess.
I see, so deep water sharks = uncharted territory and no one knows even the basics for keeping them.... That's too bad.
Ok can we do:
Australian grey smooth-hound (Mustelus ravidus) which I believe get's between 26-28"
Mustelus minicanis I think it was 20-22"
Mustelus asterias 55 to 60"?
Mustelus mediteraneus or punctulatus ( I dunno but are those two names for the same species?)
Since those are all smooth hounds I guess the same formulas would be applied like for the other smoothhounds mentioned here like Mustelus californicus and canis right?

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Well - in theory all smoothhounds use basically the same formulas - which is basically that of the swimming Non-ORV.
Thank you krj. May I also get some answers about the Small spotted cat shark Scyliorhinus canicula and the Nurse hound Scyliorhinus stellaris? What formula should I use for them? I guess the same as the Chain catshark Scyliorhinus retifer right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store