Tank Size Recommendations

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - true Catsharks & Bullhead/Horn Sharks are considered to be Active Benthic Sharks.

Inactive Benthics would be sharks like the Wobbegongs - Which basically sit in one place 90% of the time.

Walking Benthics would be sharks like Bamboos or Epaulettes.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Actually Whitetip Reefs shouldn't be kept in a cramped tank/pond. Yes they can get stressed out. A whitetip reef pup need alot bigger pond, than a 8 ft diameter. Just keep one until it's reachs maturity I would say you need at least a 15-16ft diameter pond(or about 200 sq.ft.). As keeping a Whitetip Reef for it's entire life - you'll need a large swimming pool size with a footprint of over 600 sq.ft.

But for specific details - look at pages 7-10 of this thread.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Sting Rays? Read through the whole thread, next would be for the list to be updated with sting ray sizes and added to the first page.

goldenswimmers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Brisbane,Australia
No love for Pazzo?:irked:but cheers/thanks all those who have added great info on keeping sharks and their approx tank size suggestions..naturally bigger is always better and can only make your fish even happier...but yes great thread...makes me think one day..maybe..just maybe...i could have some black tip reef sharks..without dreams what are we chasing...:headbang2
good luck Pazzo..hopefully the guys will get you that info..:popcorn:

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
Hey guys!! I've been following the site for too long and recently became a member as I'm in the planning stage of a shark tank for my new home. I was not sure whether this was the right thread to post this however I'm gonna give it a shot. It is a rectangular tank with a curved finish on one side (I'm planning to give it a curved form on the other side with the help of decoration). The dimensions are 21.32L / 8.2W / 6.5D.
I've been fascinated by sharks since I was a child and always wanted to get a shark tank. Since it required a great deal of time+effort+care, I started out doing smaller tanks with smaller fish to get acquainted with the process. Now, I believe I'm ready!
As for the species of sharks, I definitely would love to have blacktop reef sharks (the number of fish will depend on your thoughts and recommendations as I'm now starting to think that the tank is a tad smaller than what you guys believe is required for these species). However, I wanna add that I will only keep the BTR sharks until they're mature since the tank is relatively small for an adult. For other species, I'm thinking bonehead, zebra and whitecap reef shark. The comment I'm hearing a lot about WTR sharks is that they're very aggressive and hunt at night which will cause peril to other fish species in the tank. I would love to hear your thoughts on that. As for other fish, rays look like a safe bet along with some lion fish, puffer and some other fillers.
Regarding the life support system, I will post all the specs as soon as I know that i'm in the right thread as it will be a longer post . :)
The interior design of the aquarium is being produced by a very talented designer from South Africa (http://www.artificialcoralreef.com/index.html). The concept of the design is an underwater (sunk) wine cellar. The tank will go into the man cave as you can imagine :) I have a few photos of the mockup which is being sent to me for final approval before production, I will post these later.
Can't wait to get your thoughts!!
All the best
Kerim

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
I'm bumping this thread! I'm curious about the tank height requirements. I assume that they're less of an issue than with the footprint requirement, but it wouldn't make much sense to keep a shark in water that barely submerged it...right?

From all the touch tanks of (I'm assuming juvenile) sharks and rays I've been to at public aquaria, they tend to be around 2-2.5 feet maximum depth, and the fish are typically bonnetheads, assorted rays, and ORV fish. I assume this must be different from benthic species though...

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store