Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Hello Guest, Welcome back to MonsterFishkeepers!! Don't forget to set your avatars !!!! --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/avatar

Tank/stand overhang

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by PufferFace11, Jan 23, 2011.

1. PufferFace11

PufferFace11 MFK Members

Jun 5, 2011
      Just would like some honest information on if its really bad or not???

My tank would be hanging over 2 inches on both sides if i use one stand i have and ive heard mixed info about whether its ok or not.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

2. CLDarnell

CLDarnell MFK Members

Engineer
      Feb 22, 2011
      Most aquariums are supported only around the outside. You have to support the perimeter to maintain any structural integrity. Having it over hang the long way (length) isn't as bad as having it over hang the short way (width) of course.

Also, any part of the tank hanging over the edge of the stand will create a cantilever force on the stand itself. In your case, it's not much, but it's not "best case" for sure.

You can do some things to brace up your stand, look for a new one...or build your own :)

3. AQUAMONSTER

AQUAMONSTER MFK Members

town worker
      Sep 9, 2014
      my 30 gallon growout tank over hangs about 2 1/2 inches on each side and the tank has been set up for almost 2 years. should be ok depending on tank size

4. PufferFace11

PufferFace11 MFK Members

Jun 5, 2011
      I have a bigger dresser that im more than likely going to put it on instead which can hold the tank no problem.

But i wanted to possibly use the smaller stand which would be in a different spot in the room.

Im not worried about the stand collapsing because it can more than support it, i just dont want the tank to start leaking or possibly break.

I know the overhang will put more pressure on the seals but id just like to know if it really will be a big problem or not.

5. AQUAMONSTER

AQUAMONSTER MFK Members

town worker
      Sep 9, 2014
      as long as the width of the tank is supported you will be fine

6. CLDarnell

CLDarnell MFK Members

Engineer
      Feb 22, 2011
      More than likely it will be ok as long as it is over-hanging "side to side" and not "front to back". As Aqua mentioned...how big is the tank?

7. PufferFace11

PufferFace11 MFK Members

Jun 5, 2011
      Its a 30gal tank and will only be hanging over the sides, front to back will be completely supported.

Its actually a little more than 2 inches, about 2 and a half now that i just remeasured it.

As long as it wont cause a problem then id much rather use this smaller stand.

How much would be too much overhang just out of curiosity??

8. AQUAMONSTER

AQUAMONSTER MFK Members

town worker
      Sep 9, 2014
      ive seen somone put a 20 gallon long on a 10 gallon stnad. That may be too much. what you could do is get a piece of plywood cut a little longer than the tank and put that on top of the stand

9. PufferFace11

PufferFace11 MFK Members

Jun 5, 2011
      Id personally rather not have to put any plywood down but if its gonna make a huge difference than i will.

But more than likely the 2 and a half inch overhang wont cause any issues is the consensus???

10. CLDarnell

CLDarnell MFK Members

Engineer
      Feb 22, 2011
      Perfect.

Please be aware that the stand is going to be top heavy versus the foot print area. Again, your tank should be OK, especially if you add the plywood, but if it's a weak stand or a slight bump in the future may cause it to collapse.

You seem to have a good sense about the situation since you're asking the questions. Take a good look at it yourself. If you feel comfortable, trust your judgement. If you're not comfortable, then definitely trust your judgement! Having to take down an established tank or constantly worrying about it wont' be fun.

Good luck!