Tank/stand overhang

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Thanks Darnell i appreciate your quick responses and the information.

How thick of plywood should i put under the tank and will that make a big difference in its support???

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
You're welcome :)

The "stock answer" is 3/4". You should be able to take the outside dimensions of your tank and call Home Depot. They will be able to cut it for you. If you feel creative, you can pick up some corner round trim and finish it off yourself...or possibly even some good grained contact paper if you don't have access to tools.

Be sure to post photos of your set up once you get it going!

Good luck!

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
By the way, here is a quick cell phone photo of my 55 gallon tank/stand overhang. This may give you some ideas...and hopefully some comfort that it will be OK once you get it set up. Just be sure the stand itself is stable and strong enough to support the load.

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Thanks very much for the photos and the confidence boost :)

Now i know u said the "stock" answer above but would a 1" or 2" piece of plywood be better all things considered???

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
It would be better of course, but not necessary. 1" plywood is pricey :)

Sounds like you have it under control! Good luck :)

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Ok awesome.

Im gonna run and pick up a piece of 1.5" plywood, just to be safe.

Thanks very much for everyones input and i will post some pix tom once i have the tank up and running!!

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Awesome! Can't wait to see the photos :)

fishkeeper4244

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
idk. asthetic appeal is a big part of tanks and honestly that would look ghetto depending on what stand you have. that might wear down on the edges too. sorry just being truthful. good luck, stands are expensive!

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
I just went and picked up a piece of 3/4" plywood since thats the thickest Home Depot has.

They cut it to the specs i wanted and it came out perfect.

Now im just waiting to go pick the tank up and i should be good to go.

Keeper the stand i have is a solid wood stand piece of furniture and is very well built.

The tank should work out perfectly now that i added the piece of ply.

As soon as i go pick up the fish i want tom ill take some photos and post them up :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store