Tankmates for Jack Dempsey

ramcharger1979

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Boise, ID
I just added some other cichlids to my 90 with my Jack and the first day he chased them around but has since settled down and is just like one of the fish.

Jamo3030

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2010
Mid Atlantic
I have two JDs. Well 4 if you count my blue juvis. The two adults used to be in different tanks with similar setups/stock. One was vicious and tore apart anything it could. The other was a peaceful community type. Now they are together with silver dollars and tinfoil barbs. They do well, but the one can still get cranky. I guess the point is to try them out, but be ready to move them. Space is key. If the tank is large you will have fewer problems obv.

insanity0x1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2010
moundsville, WV
severums are very good dithers, calm and keep serenity, unless you have some wacked one.. all terquoise severums ive had, are great, held thier own, never picked fights, and my first sevs were a mated pair :D

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
insanity0x1;4829595; said:
severums are very good dithers, calm and keep serenity, unless you have some wacked one.. all terquoise severums ive had, are great, held thier own, never picked fights, and my first sevs were a mated pair :D
I have never kept Severums before, but I am definitely considering it for this.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
All your ideas are good. Pike cichlids are generally aggressive to conspecifics or other bottom dwellers, you could definitely get a belly crawler pike. Severums are great. Bichirs would be good. You just want to make sure anything you put in can put up with a JD, especially be mindful if you put in similarly sized and shaped cichlids. Other than that, you won't really know until you try, as noted.

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
aclockworkorange;4830160; said:
All your ideas are good. Pike cichlids are generally aggressive to conspecifics or other bottom dwellers, you could definitely get a belly crawler pike. Severums are great. Bichirs would be good. You just want to make sure anything you put in can put up with a JD, especially be mindful if you put in similarly sized and shaped cichlids. Other than that, you won't really know until you try, as noted.
Yeah, the Belly Crawler was the one I had in mind as I always hear that they are one of the smaller Crenicichla and because they are the main ones I actually see locally -- how big do they normally get? I looked them up but can't find as much info, probably because I don't have a scientific name for them.

AquaApprentice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Actually, now after doing a little research I think the ones I see locally are more likely Crenicichla Sveni and not BellyCrawlers, so I'm not sure if I can even find any locally -- but there is always a chance if I go to some different shops.

thedarkone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
Spokane
Severum make very good tankmates for medium level aggression cichlids like jacks. They are very mellow and usually take the submissive role to more dominant fish. You should defiantly get one that is the same size as your jack, even though they are only semi aggressive if they are the bigger fish in the tank they may chase you jack around.

As far as Jacks being aggressive or peaceful it all depends on demeanor of each individual fish.

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
AQUAMONSTER;4829412; said:
Not true. The JD can throw down with any fish its size. It gets alot bulkier that most cichlids. If it grew to the size of a jag it would be a top killing cichlid. They can go crazy and be mean just like any large cichlid
Oh yeah, when my male and female fight it is fast and furious, but they like to kick it with the homies though. My flowerhorn and my ex-Dovii were relentless in the Art of Shredding.

Mechanic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2004
at home
When I used to have a JD I kept oscars, silver dollars, tinfoil barbs, and pleco's with him.
They got along fine but it would depend on the specific fish involved as well as the size of tank.
HTH
Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store