Techniques for catching Trout aside from a fly rod

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
I agree with you. That's the thing the trout which they stock are all 8-9" I actually felt lucky to catch a 12". I guess I just have to keep trying

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Try a 2.5 or 3" gulp minnow (I like any of the two tone minnow colors) and rig it on a 1/8oz or lighter plain jighead. Retrieve it with either short hops or a straight reel. With a little practice, it is easily one of the top lures for both size and numbers of trout.

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
Ok thanks I know there have to be big trout in the stocked pond because they put 500 in and I am sure that not everyone of them were kept. Anyway I was planning on using salmon eggs to try to catch the big boys. Is that a good idea?

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
I have live night crawlers as well, but haven't used them for trout brpecause this place has a high concentration of sunfish as well.

trick1441

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Minnesota
Depending the conditions of the pond that 12" could have been a big one. Many rainbows only reach the 12" -14" range in less then ideal conditions But they could have stocked it with a strain of rainbows that can grow faster in many conditions. Plus they don't have a very long life-span 3-4 years in small streams idk about the pond you're fishing, and up to 8 years in the great lakes. I live on lake superior and I catch a lot on a spoon I like to try all different sizes, sometimes a big spoon works, sometimes a small one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
Ok well I seen big trout jumping when I was there fishing so I know they are there lol. Would salmon eggs be good baits?

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
Ok well I actually think they are big rainbows though because they stock 500 of them every year and I am certain not all of them get caught. Thanks I'll definitely try salmon eggs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store