This is about Martinboys Piebald Zonatus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Martinboy ........ this thread isn't about your fishes skin condition or scale loss - that's another thread, about another subject. This discussion was started by the person who bred these fish, and his explanation as to how these piebald came about, and how you ended up with one of them.

fsirico ....... you stated;
I understand and those threads are from when I had a large group of assorted fish in my 450 gallon tank and I let fish do what they want.
Yet from the first link that I posted, that's not at all what was taking place. You purposely put that fene & syn together with the purpose of crossing the two. Take another look.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?269710-My-450-gallon-tank-for-Fenestratus

Where you clearly stated;
Took out almost all my fish now I'm going to breed my Fenestratus with a synispilum
and

well I have a syn female and I like the fene. and I'm kinda a hybrid fan, Just because you can winde up with something cool.

It's not like I'm making this stuff up.

How honest you are, or aren't, I have no idea as I don't know you personally. All I can do is go with what little information about this group of fish is available, and from that I personally wouldn't touch any of them with a 10ft pole. But hey, that's just me.

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
IT IS VERY OBVIOUS THAT fsirico is breeding some real nice fish quit Haten were just trying to figure out whats up with the skin on my fish! If you don't think its a piebald that is A OK!
View attachment 734882
I'm not hating, you'll learn there are a lot of dishonest people in this hobby. Honesty only makes you so much money. I was sold a fish not too long ago as a "red throat Midas". Well guess what? There is no such thing as a "Red Throat Midas". There are some barred Midas that have red around their gills. The fish they sold me was really an A. Amarillo. Another store is selling them as "Striped Red Devils". Maybe fsirico shouldn't put so much faith in Conkel. Seems that most of these piebalds are coming from him and are all fish that could be crossed with each other and then crossed back with another fish of the same species to carry the piebald genes while retaining their traditional looks. It may not be something that's been intentional, but I imagine if you breed in large ponds and vats it's quite possible some species can get mixed.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
ANOTHER NEW Paratheraps ?. Pied Fenes was new last year, and now zonatus is another new. Wow.
i dont know what to think

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Rather than gossiping behind a computer screen about this situation, I simply called Gage this morning when I saw the thread. Not to speak for him, but he just said (paraphrasing) "We imported the fish as wild from our supplier, then pulled them and shipped them once the order was placed. Don and I have never heard of a piebald zonatus, so we don't know what's going on. The parents appear to be what we shipped and haven't heard this from anyone else with that fish"
If you have a personal agenda against Don, fine. Don't buy fish from him then. I haven't heard of a single vendor around who hasn't had some issues and complaints. Don has had years in the hobby where he's done more than most of us will probably do in our whole lives. Take that at face value, and like I said if you don't like him, buy from someone else.
There's a lot of things that can happen in the chain from a fish being pulled from the wild to ending up at a large wholesale facility. Who knows? Unless you're collecting yourself in small numbers you really won't 100% of the time. You can place trust in your suppliers but who knows what goes on day to day with new employees going in and out? These are small, poor countries after all and we're talking about relatively large sums of money. And, sorry OP, but the magnifying glass also falls over you as well.
To conclude, simply jumping on the bandwagon and bashing Conkel just seems a wee bit trite to me. I've never been to DCT, have you? Personally I don't like to judge a person unless I see everything for myself. My what some of you would think about me if you were only to get your information from ex girlfriends...
Like I said, think what you want and buy from who you trust. I'm not here to tell anyone what to do, but I'd hope this thread could be a little more civil.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
No personal agenda again Conkel on my part - I've just been around long enough to know that a lot of what he says doesn't check out under scrutiny....that there have been unintentional hybridization issues at his farm in the past (especially among Vieja and Paratheraps)...and that (because of this) I try my best to steer clear of his stock. He spoke at my local club meeting last year and my perspective has not changed...

The best way to clear this up is transparency around where and how Conkel / Gage source their "wild" stock.

- Who is (or are) their sources of wild (not "wild") fish from Mexico? Do they also import pond-raised fish (from Central America)?

- Are there any RECENT pictures of people collecting from the wild (not recycled '90s-era photos or the same photos that are on his website)?

- Can they produce any import statements, permits or other documentation of wild import from Mexico?

- Have their suppliers ever seen piebald or other unusually-colored zonatum in the wild? It would seem that with regular collecting activity going on that Conkel and his suppliers would have a better idea than just about anyone of the natural variability of this species...

- Macracanthus and Trimacs are also found in the Rio Tehuantepec (Mexico). Given that zonatum is (allegedly) being collected from the wild, are the suppliers also collecting these species at the same time? Relative abundance of each? Conditions in the river? What the habitat looks like? Other fish found with the cichlids?

I could go on....and I'll probably hear the same stories of secret collection locations (so that "the others" won't travel to Mexico and take all of the "special" zonatum)...

In closing, I'd be a lot less skeptical of Conkel-sourced stock in general...and this guy's fish in particular...if all of what I've described above wasn't so shrouded in mystery (or coated in BS).

Providing this kind of information could both go a long way in demonstrating the authenticity of the stock they're selling but also provide valuable information and insight for hobbyists and scientists...

Matt

Rather than gossiping behind a computer screen about this situation, I simply called Gage this morning when I saw the thread. Not to speak for him, but he just said (paraphrasing) "We imported the fish as wild from our supplier, then pulled them and shipped them once the order was placed. Don and I have never heard of a piebald zonatus, so we don't know what's going on. The parents appear to be what we shipped and haven't heard this from anyone else with that fish"
If you have a personal agenda against Don, fine. Don't buy fish from him then. I haven't heard of a single vendor around who hasn't had some issues and complaints. Don has had years in the hobby where he's done more than most of us will probably do in our whole lives. Take that at face value, and like I said if you don't like him, buy from someone else.
There's a lot of things that can happen in the chain from a fish being pulled from the wild to ending up at a large wholesale facility. Who knows? Unless you're collecting yourself in small numbers you really won't 100% of the time. You can place trust in your suppliers but who knows what goes on day to day with new employees going in and out? These are small, poor countries after all and we're talking about relatively large sums of money. And, sorry OP, but the magnifying glass also falls over you as well.
To conclude, simply jumping on the bandwagon and bashing Conkel just seems a wee bit trite to me. I've never been to DCT, have you? Personally I don't like to judge a person unless I see everything for myself. My what some of you would think about me if you were only to get your information from ex girlfriends...
Like I said, think what you want and buy from who you trust. I'm not here to tell anyone what to do, but I'd hope this thread could be a little more civil.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The comment below was posted in June 2009 by one of the global mods on the ACA forum.

in Mexico its ban to collect all the fish, you need an special permit from SEMARNAT its the fish and wild life from Mexico, but as far as i know, the requisites to collect are very slim, you need to be a certified scientific, and show the work you are going to do, and then the athoritie will let you collect only the fish necesary for the experiment or research ......

This is why Matt is questioning these Zonatum as being wild caught. According to Juan Artigas, this ban goes back to at least 2007, long before the Zonatum in question were even eggs.

http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14942

Which leaves me wondering if one can more easily acquire permits for exporting domestic raised fish, such as fish raised in ponds/vats, vs those collected from the wild.

MartinBoy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Las Vegas
I appreciate everybody's view on this matter and I have learned a lot from your feedback. I always question when buying a wild caught fish but from what I have experienced so far my wild caught fish always act a little different than fish born in captivity. If it walks like a duck its probably a duck!! I also don't know how a cross breed or hybrid would cause a fish to have a piebald mutation??

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
I appreciate everybody's view on this matter and I have learned a lot from your feedback. I always question when buying a wild caught fish but from what I have experienced so far my wild caught fish always act a little different than fish born in captivity. If it walks like a duck its probably a duck!! I also don't know how a cross breed or hybrid would cause a fish to have a piebald mutation??
Because that piebald mutation is a genetic trait and if a piebald Fenestratus spawned with a Zonatus, the fry would carry that gene and if those fry spawned together it could throw off some piebalds as both would carry the recessive gene.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store