Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
By TOM GODFREY, SUN MEDIA

Two Americans are behind bars and four rare Asian arowana fish are safe in an aquarium after U.S. customs officers reeled them in in an alleged smuggling scheme.
The endangered arowanas -- commonly known as Asian dragon fish -- were found in the spare tire well of a vehicle trying to cross the Queenston Lewiston Bridge in the U.S. last weekend, said Chief Kevin Corsaro of the Customs and Border Protection agency.
Corsaro said the fish were purchased at a downtown Toronto pet store for $1,000 each and were allegedly being taken for sale in New York City, where they can catch $2,500 each. He was unsure of the Toronto store.
INDIVIDUAL BAGS "The fish are doing well and have been placed in a local aquarium," Corsaro said yesterday. "They will be held until the court case has been dealt with."

The fish are in the custody of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and will likely go to various aquariums after the case wraps up.
Corsaro said the seizure occurred after the men were sent for a check at the border. The fish were found in individual water-filled bags.
"We don't usually seize a lot of fish," he said. "It does happen, but it is rare." Robert Battaglia, 40, and Richard Feustel, 59, of Long Island, N.Y., have been charged with illegal importation of wildlife. The duo appeared at a bail hearing in a Buffalo court yesterday.

flaringshutter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2007
socal
www.myspace.com
I love how the title for the second section is "INDIVIDUAL BAGS".... like it's so dramatic... OH NO, NOT INDIVIDUAL BAGS!! :cry:

It's never smart to think you can get away with smuggling in illegal species, especially arowanas. What part of endangered don't they get?

jimmybling31

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2008
hixson tennessee
Scorponok;1273932; said:
Sad to see the media and the public are still ignorant and fearful about such harmless fish.
i was thinking the same thing. one of my friends used to have 3 of them and they were scared more than anything. i couldn't see those things attaching anyone.

leafster

Feeder Fish
Sep 7, 2008
newark ny
ok so i take it someone knows about p's being illeagle is it ok to have them in NY because iv herd you cant and would like to know because id like to have a couple of them

szabadasz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
maple ridge
that's crazy i almost bought piranha from a rogers aquatics it is in Canada so not illegal but i did but my fish tank and other supply's there. i don't know if this is the same guy but this is wear i bought from http://www.perkyspets.com/ usually i do my shopping at Mr.pets since great white closed down

Swiftwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
So cal
man, why cant they just make a system where you have to file your piranha and an inspector goes to check your house to see they are still there, then they tag them, then they could be legal cause no one would release into the wild.

why do people release them into the wild anyway? what a waste, if they dont got room for them they should euthanize it with clove oil, or research their pet before they buy.

Its stupid people who release them into water that causes all this. and that movie lol!

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Swiftwater;2341799; said:
why do people release them into the wild anyway?
There are various reasons for releasing the fish in the wild and none ever serves as a good excuse to justify their action for releasing the fish. Lack of education and common sense often is the main reason why people release the fish. They think that by releasing the fish, the fish lives a better life without regard to the consequences of the destruction of the local flora and fauna. This does not justify the excuse that a person can o longer accommodate the fish. Why buy the fish in the first place if you cannot handle it anymore?

Another illogical reason would be the fact people think by releasing the fish, the population can be restored. They did not think again the possibility that the fish can damage the local ecosystem in many ways. For each local ecosystem, there is a food chain involved. You have seen the case of Lake Victoria. The release of the Nile Perch to serve as a better food source for the locals was done without the consequences involved placed into consideration. Since then, the Nile Perch, being a predatory fish with no natural predators in Lake Victoria, has put a serious dent on the local fish populations with many more species on their way to extinction.

Diseases are also introduced via foreign agents. This is not often thought out as well. There are pathogens that native and foreign specimens are vulnerable and immune against. Outbreaks where a native population has no immunity against can seriously destroy a wide portion of the population.

Unfortunately, the lack of knowledge by some weak-minded persons has given a new spin to the situation hence you see several countries adding more species to their noxious list much to the disappointment of thousands of aquarium hobbyists. Snakeheads banned in USA is a prime example. Their lack of natural predators has enabled them to destroy local ecosystems. These are now banned in all states.

Reactions: Cholly

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
this is a good read! living in england we dont have this kind of thing. not even tropical plants can live here let alone fish=P
im glad that guy what was coming to him as he was knowingly dealing in illeagel activitys. i also like how america cares alot about its natural wildlife, im sure theres plenty of countries who couldnt care less! all thats left is healthinsurance for all through government taxes

Reactions: Deansy

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Lupin;2341817; said:
There are various reasons for releasing the fish in the wild and none ever serves as a good excuse to justify their action for releasing the fish. Lack of education and common sense often is the main reason why people release the fish. They think that by releasing the fish, the fish lives a better life without regard to the consequences of the destruction of the local flora and fauna. This does not justify the excuse that a person can o longer accommodate the fish. Why buy the fish in the first place if you cannot handle it anymore?

Another illogical reason would be the fact people think by releasing the fish, the population can be restored. They did not think again the possibility that the fish can damage the local ecosystem in many ways. For each local ecosystem, there is a food chain involved. You have seen the case of Lake Victoria. The release of the Nile Perch to serve as a better food source for the locals was done without the consequences involved placed into consideration. Since then, the Nile Perch, being a predatory fish with no natural predators in Lake Victoria, has put a serious dent on the local fish populations with many more species on their way to extinction.

Diseases are also introduced via foreign agents. This is not often thought out as well. There are pathogens that native and foreign specimens are vulnerable and immune against. Outbreaks where a native population has no immunity against can seriously destroy a wide portion of the population.

Unfortunately, the lack of knowledge by some weak-minded persons has given a new spin to the situation hence you see several countries adding more species to their noxious list much to the disappointment of thousands of aquarium hobbyists. Snakeheads banned in USA is a prime example. Their lack of natural predators has enabled them to destroy local ecosystems. These are now banned in all states.
Well said, rules are rules, 95% of the time they have a reason

Reactions: Deansy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store