touring Florida?

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
Going to have a month off in Oct and half of Nov, thinking about travelling to Florida to enjoy the fishing and herping there as it's always been a dream of mine. Any recommendations for catching a wide variety of fish? Especially considering spending some time with a kayak, or small boat if I can find one to rent, and travelling/camping around the swamps for multiple days. Any pointers as to where I should start? Should I buy equipment(rods and tackle) when I arrive or would it be cheaper to rent for 3 weeks or so? If I were to buy a kayak and gear there, would it be hard to resell them before I left?

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
As a native to Miami, it's just really hard to say what to use and what you're looking for. If you'd like to say where you're going in particular and how do you want to fish, and I'll be happy to give you a list of what you can catch, and how to catch them.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Timetraveler - If you don't mind, I'd love to nudge in here - I travel to "South" Florida (beginning in Fort Lauderdale, south to Miami) for my plant business - and always get my rod wet along the way, here and there - and would love some guidance if you have a little time to share some info with me so I'm not wasting my time stopping at random canals, etc.
PM me if it's better.
For me - variety is king. I don't target anything specific. I LOVE not knowing what I will pull up next. I like the simplicity of using worms, and the occasional rubber grub, etc. Nothing fancy or complicated.
Thanks!

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
If you'd like to pm, go for it! But I might not get back in touch until tomorrow. If you want simplicity, then just go to a local bait shop, get a bucket with an air pump and buy live shrimp. Beach fishing is going to get you most likely catfish, stingray, shark, and possibly some drums. Dock fishing will get you snappers, jacks, mackerels, sheepsheads, and grunts. Charters will get you into whatever you want. I just want to warn you, where ever you may come from, this place isn't full of your typical southern charm or hot European women. As one of our comedic writers puts it "In the US, all the trash flows to the bottom of the barrel, and that's south Florida" Carl Hiaasen said something like that. But, if you're really willing to come down here, PM me and I'll give you some tips for fishing.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Hi,
If you're talking to me - I know exactly what you mean - I go 1 or 2 times every year to stock up on new inventory and I run into all types of people down there. I should have clarified that I only fish freshwater - not saltwater.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
sorry, I realize that was rather vague. I've never been to Florida, just have thought it'd be fun to see the Everglades and some of the swamps, like the Big Cypress Preserve, Okefenokee, Green swamp. I definitely want to fish for some snakeheads and make a tour of some of the canals to catch as big a variety of exotics possible. I'm mostly interested in freshwater fishing, usually I love to keep moving when I fish so my go-to is usually light spinning gear casting baits or plastics.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Are you looking to travel around the state or stay in one place? Florida is actually a pretty large state if measured just north to south and east and west. Up here on the panhandle it's 1000x different than south Florida. If you find yourself near Destin or Pensacola give me a shout. I run fishing charters from kayaks and boats. In mid October the offshore kayak fishing is amazing with realistic shots at mahi mahi as well as sails. As the weather cools fish start moving south and by mid November the snook and tarpon should be on in south Florida!

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
JD, that sounds great! I definitely want to check out pensacola for the herping but it'd be fun to get some fishing in while I'm at it.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
If I go saltwater fishing I definitely want to go for shark! otherwise I think I'd want to try fishing in the mangroves.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Shark are boring and a real PITA. Well except for makos and spinners as they like to jump.

Where Iive we have isolated populations of Texas horned lizards. I couldn't believe it when I first saw one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store