Treating Bloat with Clout. Is quarantine necessary?

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
I have a tropheus that stopped eating, and is a little less active. I want to treat him for bloat with some clout, but have never used this medication before.

It would be way easier to treat the tank he is currently in instead of putting him in quarantine, but will the clout cause any problems to the other tankmates? He is in a 75 gallon with some other tanganyika cichlids.

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Upon further reading, it seems furan-2 or metronidazole would be my better bet since clout can't be used with bottom feeders and i have 3 synodontis cats in the tank.

Does anyone have any experience with this medication? I just want to get my tropheus back to 100%. Poor little guy :(

MalawiTango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
N Virginia
your better off putting him in a hospital tank.

1) you use less medication (it wont be diluted in a smaller tank)
2) you can turn the heat up to 86F easier in a small tank
3) the fish wont be bothered in a small tank (feel more comfortable, more likely to heal)
4) easier to do 50% water changes in a small tank

good luck, with bloat you have to act fast!!!! you get about 3 days after you notice them not eating.

Marius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Is he in a colony, or just one individual.

Colony, treat the whole tank.
Individual... quarantine the poor bastard in a 20gal and treat for a week.

Reason why I am asking is because I remember something about a "community" tank, if I am not wrong and I think this is a problem due to overfeeding ...

Anyway, a little more details to help out. Clout would be best (individual tropheus) ...metro for a whole setup (colony) treatment.

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
I am going to run out and get him a little 10 gallon tank and some medicine then. Do you have any medicine that you can specifically recommend? Also, what type of filtration should i get? I cant use anything with carbon in it, and i don't have a seeded sponge filter ready to go :nilly:

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
He is the only tropheus in the tank. He has been doing great since i got him, i didn't expect this to happen so soon. He has been on a strict diet of NLS and seaweed sheets.

Last week our power went out and there wasn't any air moving in the tank for a good 6 hours. I think this may have stressed him out and caused the bloat.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Poekin;2802145; said:
I am going to run out and get him a little 10 gallon tank and some medicine then. Do you have any medicine that you can specifically recommend? Also, what type of filtration should i get? I cant use anything with carbon in it, and i don't have a seeded sponge filter ready to go :nilly:
are you sure you don't have another tank available as a hospital tank? setting up a brand new tank for it would require cycling, and you don't want to subject an already ill fish to an uncycled small tank.

nitty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
brisbane Aus
i dont have a hospital tank as such either, but i run 'spare' small filters in my larger too tanks so i have filters ready to go and keep a small tank under the fish cupboard. that way when i need a hospital or quarantine tank i just pulll out a filter, use tank water to fill it and away i go. not a perfect hospital tank but at least it works

MalawiTango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
N Virginia
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store