(Varanus ornatus) Ornate "Nile" Monitor

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
The best way I found to tame our savannah monitors was to lay in the bathtub (clothes on obviously) and let it crawl around. I would walk around the neighborhood with the female clinging onto my shirt. We also had a large iguana that was free range. All tub trained

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Free range as in no cage?

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Free range as in no cage?

The iguana yes. The Savannah monitors were kept in a 6x2x2 aquarium. Rehomed once they were both about 3ft including tail.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I had a adult golden tegu that was trained to poop in a litter box full of shredded wet paper. He free ranged in a spare bedroom.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
iv had loads of these in the past, some I raised, some I rescued. they are by far (well them and normal niles) one of the most aggressive out there. I was once chased down the street but a 4ft one I was rescuing.

be patient with them, they have mood swings so never let your guard down. in the UK we had lots of chats about why these wern't on licence cause IMO they are way worse than a Dwarf caimen when in a mood.

best way to keep the timidness is to spent time in the tank, just go in regularly and move stuff about, they will not see you as a threat. also always use a front opening viv with varnus Sp. cause there natural predators come from above.

not meant to sound patronising in any way, these are my Favourite Varanus Sp and once they settle make amazing pets.

Reactions: justarn

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Nice monitor!
Thanks man. I would be posting more pics of him however I want to build a strong foundation of trust first. He is still unsure of me but he sure does eat a lot. Hopefully eventually he will walk out to my hand and willingly climb onto me. Until then I'm taking things slow

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Best of luck to you man. A tamed monitor is an impressive beast.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Thanks guys! Picking up a 4 foot savannah as a rescue today .....will be posting pics of him as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store