What do you use to seal plywood?

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Ok I want to do my pond with no seams. I was looking at freshwaterstingrays pond and I am going to kind of base it off that except it wont look as nice...lol. I just want to go with the paint that he used to seal it because it looks so good with no seams. I was just wondering what is the best stuff to use for this without spending hundreds of dollars? The pond will be 8x8x2.5-3. I found some stuff and was wondering if it would work? Thanks

http://aquanet.net/paint.htm?gclid=CL-t4pbCwIkCFS7OJAodLw7tUQ

Chad

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
this is for a pond? so it will be holding water? Why not just use the black pond tarp?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Sanitred products are loads easier to apply and won't crack on ya. Epoxy with fiber glass+resin is tried and true, either way if done right will work for ya.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
i vote for a product called pond shield......google it

Chad55;637142; said:
Ok I want to do my pond with no seams. I was looking at freshwaterstingrays pond and I am going to kind of base it off that except it wont look as nice...lol. I just want to go with the paint that he used to seal it because it looks so good with no seams. I was just wondering what is the best stuff to use for this without spending hundreds of dollars? The pond will be 8x8x2.5-3. I found some stuff and was wondering if it would work? Thanks

http://aquanet.net/paint.htm?gclid=CL-t4pbCwIkCFS7OJAodLw7tUQ

Chad

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
That pond shield stuff looks tough to install and a bit expensive... It looks nice and all but just a bit too complicated for me... And how easy is the Epoxy Paints by Sweetwater... How easy is that to apply/install? And what would you use to fill the seams? Also which of the sanitred products would I want to use if I were to go that route?

Chad

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
Chad55;637277; said:
Also which of the sanitred products would I want to use if I were to go that route?

Chad
You'll use Permaflex and LRB/TAV. For that size, you'll need 1 gal of each. Should be about $250 including shipping. They have a pool calculator on their site under "how-to". Just go with the smallest pool size they have. It will give you 1 gal each. I don't recall the exact coverage per gal, but it's pretty good.

Oh, and tell them you want the 10% discount if you submit pics. All you have to do is take pictures of the install and send them a form that they'll email you if you ask ;)

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Epoxy paints on top of fiberglass and resin (need fiberglass+resin or the paint WILL crack/puncture from the slightest impact or bowing of plywood under water weight) is a pain so I've read, sanding between each layer, rolling the fiber glass out smooth, no bubbles, all over 3-6 layers of the stuff I hear gets old.

Roliva did a tank using sanitred, documented it very well, here's his post in a thread I had a while back.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=557003&postcount=13

Here's that thread:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42109

Next to using dryloc (lasts 5 years if you're lucky,not meant for wood or constant submersion) sanitred could be the easiest route, plus it has a life time warranty that it will never fail, should outlast the plywood ya use to build the tank.

I'll be using this stuff in april/may when I build my 7x4x24" tank.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
So that sanitred will run me about $250 just to seal the pond? Is there anything wrong with the Epoxy Paints by Sweetwater? They seem to be easier and quiet a bit cheaper than everything else...

Chad

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
Chad55;638060; said:
So that sanitred will run me about $250 just to seal the pond? Is there anything wrong with the Epoxy Paints by Sweetwater? They seem to be easier and quiet a bit cheaper than everything else...

Chad
I don't think theres anything wrong with epoxy paint, but I personally wouldn't rely on it as the sole means of waterproofing. What I mean by that is that it assumes you have a perfect box. What if you have seams and gaps and knot holes etc? I don't think you can just glob on the paint and hope it holds. I looked at that too, but it seems too good to be true. I'd use it on an outdoor pond as a liner, but not in my house. Have you called them and explained what you're intending on doing? That's what I would do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store