What do you use to seal plywood?

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
ok, strike that. I just called for you. For concrete, you'd need to use a sealer first. That is $120.00 per gal and covers 180sq.ft. So, for example, in my case it would be $240 for the sealer and another $50 for the paint. For you, and plywood, you'll need to seal the plywood first. They recommend fiberglass. Then you paint the fiberglass. So you're looking at a LOT more than the $50 paint. It's just fish safe paint...

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
use the epoxy paint thats what i did
but make sure you get some fiberglass resin and glass matte for all the seams and if any knotholes
this is by far the cheapest route and it is rock solid if done right

my tank has been holding for a year by doing this exact same thing

mike

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
eh1421;638248; said:
use the epoxy paint thats what i did
but make sure you get some fiberglass resin and glass matte for all the seams and if any knotholes
this is by far the cheapest route and it is rock solid if done right

my tank has been holding for a year by doing this exact same thing

mike
I'm sure it works great, and it is cheaper, but work has to be factored in too? Just figure, you need 30 yards of 38" mat at 1.65 per yard, that's $49.00, plus resin at we'll say $30 a gallon, assuming you'd need 2 gallons, which I doubt, then factor paint at about $58 per gallon. Say 1 gallon of paint covers, you're at about $167.00 in materials before shipping (say $200 total). Now think about the application. You need to sand/prepare the plywood, apply the stinkin, messy, smelly fiberglass mat/resin, sand the everloving nonsense (I used to build fiberglass race cars, I know) out of the fiberglass to get it down smooth, then apply the paint. All of which is nasty smelling/toxic stuff. You need to have the doors all open and about 30 box fans blowing the fumes out so you don't get brain damage.

Now let's think about something like sanitred. For another $50, you get a product that you smear in the cracks and paint on 2 coats like latex paint. Done! It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. IMHO...

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Wurm. You never cease to amaze me LOL

mbutzer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2006
MN
MilitantPotato;637154; said:
Sanitred products are loads easier to apply and won't crack on ya.
Can sanitred be applied indoors without special ventialtion? Like in my basement?

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
mbutzer;639188; said:
Can sanitred be applied indoors without special ventialtion? Like in my basement?
Yes. from their site:

Non-hazardous, non-toxic, solvent free, low VOC, and low odor
and

PermaFlex is an anti-corrosion & waterproofing coating that can be used either indoors or outdoors.
LRB is a low odor & solvent free waterproofing membrane that can be used either indoors or outdoors.
TAV is a thick, blue colored, inert, odor-free, paste-like additive
tech data here:

http://www.sanitred.com/permatechdata.htm

http://www.sanitred.com/tavdisc.htm

http://www.sanitred.com/lrbtechnicaldata.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store