what eats tadpoles?

ridehard22

Feeder Fish
Jun 7, 2009
Florida
We have a large coi pond that has suddenly become a tadpole pond...for some reasons the tadpoles are very prolific this year and I don't know what to do! There's too many to try to scoop them out--literally there are trillions. Right now there are 8 coi and 2 plecos in the pond with room for more. Is there a fish I can put in there that will eat the tadpoles and not mess with the coi? Someone suggested bass or brim...does anyone have any experience there? I live in North Central Florida just outside of Gainesville. I could go fish for bass and/or brim if that were a good solution, but I don't want to put anything in with my coi unless I know they won't get hurt.

Please help!

Thank you so much,
Darla

red_wall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
The Peach State
Why don't you just leave them in there... Are they hurting your fish?

The koi are probably eating them, but there's too many for them to eat.

I'd suggest just leaving it alone, they'll be gone in a few weeks.

ridehard22

Feeder Fish
Jun 7, 2009
Florida
I'm not getting rid of the koi, my mom had them for years and they were her fish. She passed away a few years ago. Whether anyone understands that or not doesn't matter to me...

If there's a gagillion tadpoles, won't that mean at least 1/2 of a gagillion frogs will result? I could do without so many frogs...that is why I wanted to do something.

Thank you for your responses and help. This was my mom's pond and for some reason we're suddenly having huge issues with algae and tadpoles this year--I just got the two big plecos so hopefully they will help me solve the algae problem.

Thanks again,
D.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
When the tadpoles become frogs they will venture outside the pond area espicially when garter snakes start coming around. Let nature take care of the promblem.

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
the tadpoles will fix the algae problem theyll eat and eat and eat as for the tadpole problem itself when they grow into frogs theyll leave the pond and venture out into the world

Gobrian44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Around.....
arrowana.....saw one eat a baby duck on youtube....get 3 or 4

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
red_wall;3197848; said:
Why don't you just leave them in there... Are they hurting your fish?

The koi are probably eating them, but there's too many for them to eat.

I'd suggest just leaving it alone, they'll be gone in a few weeks.

this is the most sound advice. eventually, they will become frogs. frogs are an essential part of the food chain, being eaten by birds, snakes, and in some cases other animals. it doesn't make any sense to add fish to eat the tadpoles, b/c in a few months the tadpoles will be gone, then you have all these fish you don't really need/want

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store