What is F0/F1?

HiImSean

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2007
kennesaw, ga
Modest_Man;4117635; said:
F0 means wild, yes. That's pretty easy.

What about my example above? F0 sibling cross and unrelated F0 cross still both yield F1. Should it? One F1 is already a generation inbred.

An F1 crossing from that same scenario yields an F2 with two generations of inbreeding while an F1 crossing of un-related parental stock yields an F2 with no inbreeding.

F0 X F0 (wild siblings) = F1 X F1 (siblings) = F2. Two generations inbred.

F0 X F0 (unrelated) = F1 (fish A)
F0 X F0 (unrelated) = F1 (fish B)

Those F1 (A) X F1 (B) = F2 offspring with no history of inbreeding.

Both are F2, same quality of genetics in the fish? It's a crappy system that was never meant to be used as it is.
in a genetics sense, f0xf0 does not necessary mean sibling genetics. crossing f1xf1 or f2xf2 would. in the fish hobby, i don't think we characterize f1xf1 having the same genetic background.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
HiImSean;4117675; said:
in a genetics sense, f0xf0 does not necessary mean sibling genetics. crossing f1xf1 or f2xf2 would. in the fish hobby, i don't think we characterize f1xf1 having the same genetic background.
I don't think I said it was (in regards to genetics), but it can easily happen in the hobby, especially when fishermen just net a spawn from parents in the wild.

Again though, F1 X F1 can easily have the same genetic background (I'd put money on the vast majority of F1 breeding is with siblings). It's simply much easier to buy a batch from the same parents.

Was my post confusing? I'd really rather draw diagrams.

HiImSean

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2007
kennesaw, ga
Modest_Man;4117723; said:
I don't think I said it was (in regards to genetics), but it can easily happen in the hobby, especially when fishermen just net a spawn from parents in the wild.

Again though, F1 X F1 can easily have the same genetic background (I'd put money on the vast majority of F1 breeding is with siblings). It's simply much easier to buy a batch from the same parents.

Was my post confusing? I'd really rather draw diagrams.
im not saying you said that :D im just trying to help the OP get a better understanding. yes, most collectors probably collect F0 fry from the same batch which is unfortunate.

FIN01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2010
Wisconsin
Man do I love this topic every time it comes up. Modest_Man has it spot on so I don't need to rant. I understood filial genetics before I really got interested in the hobby to the point where I encountered this F# system. I agree that things should stay the way they are because too many understand it this way. I feel like this thread may be giving this topic some closure for a while, but who knows when someone will decide to just post a new thread with out searching for the answer here.

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc

What about my example above? F0 sibling cross and unrelated F0 cross still both yield F1. Should it? One F1 is already a generation inbred.

An F1 crossing from that same scenario yields an F2 with two generations of inbreeding while an F1 crossing of un-related parental stock yields an F2 with no inbreeding.

Both are F2, same quality of genetics in the fish? It's a crappy system that was never meant to be used as it is.
This was what I basically meant. But you explained it so much better :D.

peathenster;4117644; said:
I completely agree with you Peter, and thanks for the link, it was very informative. I never knew that you teach and study genetics. The current F# system is flawed, and I would like to know who originally started using it for fish, and what were their original intentions.

The current F# system basically just tracks the generation of the fish from it's wild parents, but really doesn't track how "clean" the bloodline is. Granted in most cases they go hand and hand, but there are some exceptions. For instance, say I buy a group of 4 F1 midas from one guy, then figure out I have all females. So I decide to buy another unrelated F1 male from someone else, and end up spawning him with one of my females. Yes, the fry would be 2nd generation from the wild parents, but it would be an untainted bloodline. Or if I were a purist, I would purposely buy F1's from different parents to preserve the bloodline.

I think that if there is going to be a system, then it should track both the generation, and the bloodline.

Example:
G(Generation of the fish)
F(Bloodline)

Wild Caught Specimen= G0,F0
Spawn from that wild caught pair= G1,F0
Spawn from the G1,F0 same brood= G2,F1
Spawn from a G1,F0 different broods= G2,F0
Spawn from G2,F1 same brood= G3,F2
And so on and so on........

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this can come up with something better than this, but hey...I tried :)

Where a system like this would be much more efficient, it would also be very confusing for many that are used to the current system like F1N01 stated. It would completely throw off the balance of the way things currently are. Maybe there is just no point questioning the current system because it's so established. Most vendors just use the F# system because it's what their consumers understand. If everyone were to put in the effort to make it a better system, then it might be possible to change.

On another note, I would like to see studies concentrating on how many generations down does it actually take before a species starts to feel the effects of inbreeding. If it's already been done, please direct me to the info :D

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc

And in this case the wild siblings offspring would be G1,F1 if we were to use a system like the one I stated above. It does seem like a lot more effort to label fish this way. Is it really worth all the trouble?

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Studies have been done.

Convict cichlids, Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum, inbred for four and five generations exhibited moderate and severe morphological deformities. Deformed fishes were characterized by a more vertically sloping forehead, irregular jaw, hyoid, opercula and fin structure, reduced growth and irregular swimming behaviour. Inbred fish (F4, F5) did not differ from F1s in their age of maturation or the average size of their first broods. Brood survival was 18.7% in F5 inbred fish, compared to 75.5% in F1s.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119557049/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

More Here.

And Here for cichlids specifically.

BigPic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2007
Winnipeg, Canada
Why does this have to get muddied? F0 = beginning of the line (not necessarily wild), F1 = first generation derived from the F0 specimens, F2 = second generation from F0 specimens and so on. Weather I buy wild fish for a breeding program or I buy pet shop mutts for the breeding program, they ARE the F0 stock (regardless of the purity of the bloodline), their offspring would be F1 and their offspring's offspring would be F2 etc. ect.

The point is (maybe I am the only one that feels this way) that the F# system doesn't work the way that it's used in the hobby. A dealer w/o scruples could call his inbred haggard old breeding stock is F0 and a lot of people might assume he means wild. . . just sayin LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store