What is your preferred stand height?

timdo72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Edinburg, TX
Hi, I am going to built a stand for an acrylic tank that is 72"L x 24"W x 26"H 195g. I am planning to put a sump underneath the stand. The stand will be enclosed like cabinets with doors. I am just not sure on the height of the stand that I want to build and that is what is holding me back.

Currently I have a 8'x2'x2' 240g tank that is sitting on a 48"H stand which put the tank at eye level when I am standing up to view the fish which is great. But when I am sitting down in a chair to view it then it's too high and obviously not at eye level anymore. That is a dilemma in itself.

I also have another 72"x18"x22" 125g tank that is sitting on a 30"H stand which put the tank at eye level when I am sitting down on a chair to view the fish which is great. But when I am standing up to view it then it's too low and obviously not at eye level anymore. That is also a dilemma in itself as well.

So my question for you is this. What is your preferred stand height and reasons? Any experiences and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good question and you've already touched on one important factor...it's nice to be able to view a tank at eye level while you are standing but then the view is not so great if you happen to be in a seated position.I made a two tier stand for my seventy gallon tanks with the top tank being at standing eye level.Also,if the tank is too high it might be difficult to reach down into it when you have to.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My 90g stand is about 33" or so tall. Its good viewing height sitting down and standing up.

Its a little bit of high when I sit down since the tank is tall but I wouldn't consider making a stand any shorter because of spacial issues with the sump

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

timdo72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Edinburg, TX
Good question and you've already touched on one important factor...it's nice to be able to view a tank at eye level while you are standing but then the view is not so great if you happen to be in a seated position.I made a two tier stand for my seventy gallon tanks with the top tank being at standing eye level.Also,if the tank is too high it might be difficult to reach down into it when you have to.
Thanks for the feedback. You made a good point about too high and it might be difficult to reach down into the tank. That's what is happening to my 240g that is sitting on a 48" stand. I have to use a tall ladder every time which I don't mind. It does make it difficult to clean in certain area of the tank.

timdo72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Edinburg, TX
My 90g stand is about 33" or so tall. Its good viewing height sitting down and standing up.

Its a little bit of high when I sit down since the tank is tall but I wouldn't consider making a stand any shorter because of spacial issues with the sump

Thanks for the feedback. You made a good point about not making a stand that is short bc of spacial issues with the sump. That is usually a problem in some or most standard 30"H stands if you plan to put a sump underneath.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Id choose sitting view over standing view considering I could always kneel down with no seats, but when i want to relax it would suck to not see the tank. Currently my stand puts the tank at eye level while sitting (bottom of tank at arm rest level), but fortunately my tank is also almost 3 feet tall by itself and I'm short so luckily I can see it just fine standing too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
My opinion, perfect height is around 38-42 inches for the bottom of the tank. Stand and see, sit and see. I always sit and measure from whatever I sit on plus stand and look at it with a tape measure. I have a stand at 42 which is nice but a little shorter would have been good but I love the space to work on my sump and what. Another stand at 48 which is for standing. One at 30 for sitting or standing over to work with the fish in it.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Most would probably prefer lower stand heights for seated viewing and most of mine are regular height.I built the double decker stand higher to change things up a little in my fish room.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My tank in my bedroom is only about 24" off the floor. Its great for laying in bed.

I guess it all depends where you plan on viewing it most often

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks for the feedback. You made a good point about too high and it might be difficult to reach down into the tank. That's what is happening to my 240g that is sitting on a 48" stand. I have to use a tall ladder every time which I don't mind. It does make it difficult to clean in certain area of the tank.
No problem,glad to be able to contribute.The stand for my 265 is about the same height as my 180 stand and I can't reach down into it without standing on a chair or something.If the stand was any higher I'd have to climb down into it in order to do any maintenance lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store