Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

What kind of parrot fish is this?

Discussion in 'Flowerhorn, Blood Parrots and Other Cichlid Crosse' started by swervo513, May 24, 2011.

1. swervo513

swervo513 MFK Members

I went to the pet store and picked up a pair of what were described as lutino parrots. However I could not clearly understand or recall what the chinese woman said but it sounded something like that. I googled them and nothing came up. I was wondering if you guys could help me to identify this fish. What is it and what crossbred fish make it look like that? I apologize for the low quality photo.

Attached Files:

2. pshtex

pshtex MFK Members

i am pretty sure that is just a flowerhorn x parrot fish. not sure which flowerhorn but thats what it looks like.

3. Ayeeepowlow

Ayeeepowlow MFK Members

idk but looks like a hybrid with a jack dempsey

4. swervo513

swervo513 MFK Members

Cant be a cross with a flowerhorn because parrots themselves are sterile and can not produce young - from what I know. I am surprised that no one has heard of these guys. I guess they are fairly new to the trade.

5. k0y0te

k0y0te MFK Members

Data Entry for a Flight Academy
      not sure about the mix with fh or a jd but its the males that are not sterile. But there are rare cases that sometimes a male is sterile. I seen several breed of fish crossed with the blood parrot. most of the one i seen is a female blood parrot crosed with somethiing else. Not even sure the one in the pic is a cross breed. lol

6. kevinfleming21

kevinfleming21 Jurassic Aquatics

Mod Squad
      I've seen convict x BP, that looks like a ZZ x BP to me.

7. fishtankdork

fishtankdork MFK Members

parrot fish the hybrid are not sterile. most females are fertile and 99% of males are sterile. i have breed female parrots to flowerhorns before. there is still some fertile males out there also but ive never encountered one. the image you showed, that is how a regular parrot hybrid fish looks in youth before fading. dont be surprised if he starts to turn black soon.

it also could be a killin bp x flowerhorn

8. swervo513

swervo513 MFK Members

I think you got it dork. (hehe no offense) That is probably what the chinese lady was trying to say. I searched killin parrot fish and it looked exactly like the older one looked like. Thanks

9. swervo513

swervo513 MFK Members

so how do you make a killin parrot?

10. Chrisplosion

Chrisplosion Mean Cat
      Staff Member

That is 100% Kilin Parrot.

Since this is hybrid Cichlid please post this in the Flowerhorn and Other Cichlid Crosses section and not in the Other Hybrids.