When do you have your lights on?

When are your lights on?

• Early morning till evening (with the Sun)

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Afternoon into night (after work hours)

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Early morning till late at night (algae lovers)

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other (mixed schedule, dimmers, etc...)

Votes: 14 20.0%

• Total voters

sluder4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2011
Lexington, NC
Commenting on the lighting problem I have mine on from around 6:30 till 8-11 whenever I remember to turn them off. I have algea on my plants so I will probably do a blackout and see what happens ;]

FishFlake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Maine, USA
In my tanks without plants my timers are set to be on when I'm home. A couple hours in the morning and then after work. So probably 8 hours a day. In my planted tank I basically do the same thing, but give it around10 hours. I also have algae eaters (BN plecos, olive nerite snails, otos, amano shrimp), so I don't know what it would be like with them.

chris_zx2

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2009
Montreal
I have a large 6" pleco that cleans the glass great, but no one to clean the plants, I have a 15" aro and 2 breeding jags (male around 10") so unfortunately ottos are out!
Any suggestion on other algae eaters that won't eat plants and won't be eaten?

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
My lights come on at 7.30am and off at 11.30pm. As regards cichlids, it does become frustrating when the plants are constantly uprooted. However, if you allow the plants to establish roots proir to introducong fish, i find they tend to leave them be. Becomes difficult if the fish are already in the tank and cannot be move.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
my 200G lights are on at 10:00am and off at 8:00pm with just anubias growing inside

for my paludarium lights are on at 10:00am and now off at around 10:00pm (was off an hour or two later before) due to the fact i think some of my plants leaves are either getting burned or i have a potassium deficiency in the tank...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
my 200G lights are on at 10:00am and off at 8:00pm with just anubias growing inside

for my paludarium lights are on at 10:00am and now off at around 10:00pm (was off an hour or two later before) due to the fact i think some of my plants leaves are either getting burned or i have a potassium deficiency in the tank...

Oh and btw, next time you should be slightly more clear with your poll, as in go by actual hours such as 1 - 2 hours a day 3 - 6 and so on which will make it easier for people to vote...

Capsaicin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Minnesota
I've always gone with "siesta" lighting. Some people think it reduces algae growth, but from my experience it really doesn't matter...

On: 11:00am
Off: 3:00pm
On: 5:00pm
Off: 10:00pm

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ is there any particular reason you do that? and do you do that on a planted tank or one with just fish?

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento
I used to run my tank at 12 hours on and 12 hours off (9am-9pm) and I had a range of algae issues. I have slowly been lowering the light cycle over the last few months and have settled on 9 hours of light (2-11pm) with only 4 hours being at the full lighting. This "burst" schedule is at one hour intervals (3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10). The idea is to allow CO2 levels to increase inbetween the burst so that the levels are very high during the highest light intensity periods. So far my algae issues have slowly been in the decline with only beard algae being an issue.

I may eventually move to 7-8 hours of light to further reduce algae issues and to slow down the plant growth so I don't have to trim so often.

Mr. Rain Cloud

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have dim lighting so I don't have any algae problems.

I don't have my light fixture come on too early so it naturally brightens up before the light(I only use 1 bulb out of 4) turns on.
On @ 9am- Off @ 7:30pm
7:30pm until I sleep for moonlights. Sometimes it will just be left on all night/morning :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store