Where Freshwater Stingrays Are Illegal To End All

bookworm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2011
Texas, U.S.A
You can keep rays in Texas with a permit, but only Potamotrygon rays require a permit, all others are legal with out one. (it says so on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Departments website.)
Don't know about Florida, but I think "restricted" means you cannot purchase or keep them what so ever, correct me if I'm wrong on the Florida part, just going off of an assumption.

kitxzombie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
Monroe,GA
Oh man.. Georgia its illegal?!! why?!! Ugh this stinks. I was actually thinking of getting one! Go figure. lol this stinks. i want to know why its illegal.

Theseabean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
No, restricted means you need a permit. its on the FWC website. I called when I wanted my motoro. and the atlantic rays are hard to keep, they get relatively large.

spadoc79

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
Conditional nonnative species (formerly referred to as restricted species) are considered to be dangerous to the ecology and/or the health and welfare of the people of Florida. These species are not allowed to be personally possessed, although exceptions are made by permit from the Executive Director for research, commercial use (with security measures to prevent escape or release) or public exhibition purposes.

Facilities with an Aquaculture Certificate of Registration (AQ) and authorization to possess conditional species are not required to obtain an FWC conditional species permit to import conditional species to be used in aquaculture activities. However, aquaculturists that import or purchase fish for direct retail sale must obtain an FWC permit in addition to an AQ

Freshwater stingrays - Family Potamotrygonidae, all species
1.Paratrygon aiereba (Discus ray)
2.Plesiotrygon iwamae (Long-tailed river stingray)
3.Potamotrygon boesemani
4.Potamotrygon brachyura (Short-tailed river stingray)
5.Potamotrygon castexi (Vermiculate river stingray)
6.Potamotrygon constellata (Thorny river stingray)
7.Potamotrygon falkneri (Largespot river stingray)
8.Potamotrygon henlei (Bigtooth river stingray)
9.Potamotrygon hystrix (Porcupine river stingray)
10.Potamotrygon leopoldi (White-blotched river stingray)
11.Potamotrygon magdalenae (Magdalena river stingray)
12.Potamotrygon marinae
13.Potamotrygon motoro (Ocellate river stingray)
14.Potamotrygon ocellata (Red-blotched river stingray)
15.Potamotrygon orbignyi (Smooth back river stingray)
16.Potamotrygon schroederi (Rosette river stingray)
17.Potamotrygon schuhmacheri
18.Potamotrygon scobina (Raspy river stingray)
19.Potamotrygon signata (Parnaiba river stingray)
20.Potamotrygon yepezi (Maracaibo river stingray)

BrandonJ3vino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2012
Salinas
Is fish and game that crazy? I see gang force going in to houses for a bust and go in and fin a pound of pot and not make a big deal. In other words is fish and game looking for people who bread rays or people who own 2 or 3 of them?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
california
this sucks! california? but thanks this helps alot!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store