Why are there no eel hybrids?

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
From my minor understanding of genetics, tire track eels and fire eels should be able to hybridize because they're both of the Mastacembelus genus, but I've not seen any. Is it just too hard to do? Has anyone even tried? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd personally pay some very good money for a tire track/fire hybrid.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
That would be an interesting eel. Uh might have something to do with being territorial/unfriendly to other spiney eels when larger ie reproducing age

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
If they're sympatric, it doubtlessly has happened and there has doubtlessly been one or two to find their way into the hobby. They were likely just sold as oddballs.

We don't see them regularly because there's no reason for anyone to commercially breed them, unlike RTCxTSN, for example.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
From my minor understanding of genetics, tire track eels and fire eels should be able to hybridize because they're both of the Mastacembelus genus, but I've not seen any. Is it just too hard to do? Has anyone even tried? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd personally pay some very good money for a tire track/fire hybrid.
Two species within the same genus might or might not produce offspring. There is no guarantee that 2 different species can biologically produce offspring just because they are in the same genus.

There are of course some reasons in nature why species could biologically reproduce but won't including instinct, size, not sharing the same territory, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store