Will Salt Disrupt Established Bacteria

NorCal

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2015
Marina, CA
Hey guys I tried finding an answer to this with no luck so sorry if it's a dumb or a previously answered question.

Will salt kill my beneficial bacteria when used in the 2 tsp per gallon ick treatment method (along with the temp being raised)?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For ich I have brought the salinity levels to over 3 ppt (parts per thousand) many times, and have noticed no ammonia spike, which would indicate a beneficial bacteria die off.
I usually add rock salt by the handful to a HOB filter gradually over a 24-48 hour period until my salinity meter reads >3ppt.

NorCal

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2015
Marina, CA
For ich I have brought the salinity levels to over 3 ppt (parts per thousand) many times, and have noticed no ammonia spike, which would indicate a beneficial bacteria die off.
I usually add rock salt by the handful to a HOB filter gradually over a 24-48 hour period until my salinity meter reads >3ppt.
Yeah that's what I did. That's why I was a bit concerned I might have killed my BB in the HOB. Although I only did 1 1/2 tsp per gallon seeing as it was only one fish that had it. It's all gone now. Been about a week and all seems good in the hood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store