How big do p-bass get in captivity? Are they good with other tankmates??

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
Could a full grown one be ok in a 300g?

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
not a truly full grown one no. i saw some specimens at the steinhart aquarium in san francisco that were absolutely huge. they were probably close to 30" if not over. they were the most magnificent looking cichlids i have ever seen in person. i have seen big dovii and big umbee's but as far as sheer size goes these guys take the cake. i have never seen an emperor cichlid this large in captivity although i do know they reach this size as well. possibly even larger.

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
Anybody out there raised a full grown one in there home aquarium? Biggest one I have ever seen was at The Trusts house and it was like 18-20" so still just a youngin.

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
I had a peacock bass (12") in a tank with 2 clown knives (20" & 24") and a red pike (8") and they seem to get along pretty good oh, can't forget my spotted raphael cat (4"). When I moved the bass was the only fish that didn't make it. I don't know how big he would have grew but I can say that he had a huge appetite.

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
THEY GET HUGE!!!!!!!!! you couldnt fit a truly full grown one in anything save the largest home aquarium. i am not joking when i say i have seen specimens close to the 3 foot mark. these guys are truely huge growing fish. unless you have one monster of a tank NO you wont be able to grow one to full size!!!!!

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Yeah, real big! Check out this pic:

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
ya, thats a big one and still not as big as i have seen them at steinhart aquarium san francisco. they are great fish and can be kept in captivity, i just dont think you can have a FULL GROWN one!!!! in a 300 :thumbsup:

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now thats more like the ones i saw TRUST....you rock bro.....let these people know....THESE ARE REAL MONSTERS!!! would youput that thing at that size in a 300...........DONT THINK SO!!! MFK for life :cheers:

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
michael said:
Could a full grown one be ok in a 300g?

I don't think you will have a problem. The fish will probably never max out. There are 5 recognized species. Only 1 (Cichla temensis) is a real tank buster and actually gets bigger than 30 inches in the wild.

Most the people I know have never had them in a tank even as big as 300 gallons.

Do Lots of water changes and don't crowd the tank and you should be fine.

Reactions: fishmarket
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store