yellow bullhead questions

x80124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2008
florida
i just picked up two yellow bullheads about 1 inch in length. was wondering how fast they grow(18.5 max i think?) and if they have a certain food the especially like( like a treat or something). Also, will the tank size they start out in effect the speed they grow? Should I throw them in a bigger tank to start out with or is a 10-20 ok until they outgrow?
thanks!

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
x80124;1576079; said:
i just picked up two yellow bullheads about 1 inch in length. was wondering how fast they grow(18.5 max i think?) and if they have a certain food the especially like( like a treat or something). Also, will the tank size they start out in effect the speed they grow? Should I throw them in a bigger tank to start out with or is a 10-20 ok until they outgrow?
thanks!

Well IMO, I think you can house a 1 incher in a 20 gallon for a little bit. But be prepared to transfer it soon to something bigger.

I Bullheads are catfish and in general catfish are not very picky about what they eat.....So dont go crazy trying to find "special" food for it. I feed my Channel Cat: Tetra Large sticks, Cichlid pellets, Goldfish flakes, live minnows and or feeder goldfish. Pretty much catfish will eat about anything they can swallow.

I started my Channel Cat in a 75 Gallon tank when he was only 5 inches long and 7-8 months later he grew about an inch to an inch and half.

Dont get me wrong, catfish will grow, but they wont be 3 feet long like some people speculate.

Of course some people critisize me and say that I am housing my fish in poor conditions and starve them like somolian kids.

But of course that is untrue, in fact I make it my priority to keep my water parameters in tip top shape.

But! Like I said, its upto you bro!

You can start it out in a 20 gallon but dont get to comfortable because you will need to upgrade soon.

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
i have two yellow bullheads, 3" and 4" in a 20 long rght now and they eat floating pellets with no problems so you won't have to buy any special foods, they have a potential to grow up around 2' given the right conditions, but it takes a while for them to get that large, mine started out at 1" and it has been about 5 months since i first brought them home

x80124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2008
florida
thanks for the info! They will only be in the smaller tank until they are large enough to not get eaten by future tank mates. no intention of keeping them there ;)

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
cmj15;1576188; said:
i have two yellow bullheads, 3" and 4" in a 20 long rght now and they eat floating pellets with no problems so you won't have to buy any special foods, they have a potential to grow up around 2' given the right conditions, but it takes a while for them to get that large, mine started out at 1" and it has been about 5 months since i first brought them home

Are you sure about that!!!!!!! Some people might claim that your keeping them in bad water conditions or not feeding them properly and would claim its your fault that they dont grow well! :j/k::hitting:

Rockbass6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Lake Erie
x80124;1576079; said:
thanks!
They are really only one inch? 1------1 that would be about the size? They like many kinds of worms. (red wroms, black worms, blood bloodworms.) Try boodworms first. They should be fine in either a 10 or 20 gallon and then you should upgrade accordingly. Also, provide somesort of cover something like a pvc pipe so they feel comfortable and more secure.

x80124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2008
florida
Rockbass6;1576212; said:
They are really only one inch? 1------1 that would be about the size? They like many kinds of worms. (red wroms, black worms, blood bloodworms.) Try boodworms first. They should be fine in either a 10 or 20 gallon and then you should upgrade accordingly. Also, provide somesort of cover something like a pvc pipe so they feel comfortable and more secure.
thanks! i will try blood worms tomorrow! one is slightly smaller than the other and both are very small, 1 in. was a guesstimate =) very cool fish, loves finding the smallest crevasses and cracks in the rock structure and squeezing itself in. very energetic at night as well!

mudkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2007
NJ
my yellow bullhead is a beast, it grew from 3 inches to 6 inches in only 3 months. Since i left my house in january, it is already 7-8 inches, taking out goldfish meant for my black crappie. They basically grow as much as you feed them, and temperature of the water. However, idk if it is true, but doesnt overfeeding, causing quick growth eventually stunt the fish in the end? As for the yellow bullhead growing to 18.5 in, i rarely find bullhead and catch bullhead over a foot in length in the wild (i live in jersey).

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
mudkeeper;1577389; said:
my yellow bullhead is a beast, it grew from 3 inches to 6 inches in only 3 months. Since i left my house in january, it is already 7-8 inches, taking out goldfish meant for my black crappie. They basically grow as much as you feed them, and temperature of the water. However, idk if it is true, but doesnt overfeeding, causing quick growth eventually stunt the fish in the end? As for the yellow bullhead growing to 18.5 in, i rarely find bullhead and catch bullhead over a foot in length in the wild (i live in jersey).

I feed my natives maybe twice a week. One day I give them feeders, the other day I give them pellets.

I try to change up the food every time so that they have a good balanced diet.

I wouldn't suggest overfeeding them. I did thta last time and I demolished my water quality. It took me a month to get it back under control. Live and learn! :ROFL:

Trust me, they wont die if you dont feed them a for a few days. These fish will outlast all of us :ROFL:

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I had one (not a yellow though) and grew it fast on lots of frozen bloodworms and 'ocean plankton' which i assume was mysis shrimp or something like that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store