How long do Oscars live?

Roberto C. Wells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Paris, AR
How long do Oscars usually live?
I just put a six year old female in with a 1 year old male and a ½ a year old female
and all they do is shake there fins and open there mouths
should I be worried

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
It's most likely signs of aggression. The previously existing O's are likely defending their turf. If cared for properly, provided a healthy diet, proper tank size etc. O's can live for about a decade. Just out of curiousity, what size tank are your 3 O's in?

Roberto C. Wells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Paris, AR
95 G

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
You should upload some pics of those bad boys to your Gallery. I'd love to see them.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
95 gallons is a tad bit small for 3 fully grown oscars. Especially if two of them decide to pair off.

Roberto C. Wells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Paris, AR
My Canon Mark II was dropped of the back of a boat two weeks ago so I don’t have a digital camera right now

CichlidKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
Connecticut
They will live about 9 or ten years in a tank sometimes longer depending on how nice you treat them. Larger tank usually equals a longer, happier life.

i agree that it is probably aggression, you could try switching things in the tank around, it will throw them off for a couple days, but it may take any territorial aggression away.

scottv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Minnesota
I dunno, but I had 3 8"-9" oscars that initially showed signs of aggression to eachother and then usually just became peaceful after a few weeks or so, and schooled together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store