counterfeit silver dollars

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
can anyone give me some information on counterfeit silver dollar tetras??
i googled them and didn't seem to find anything. i'm really thinking about getting some from my supplier at work, but i wanna know a little about them first!

thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
Peanut_Power said:
Come again? counterfeit? Like false/psuedo silver dollars?
they're tetras that look like little silver dollars. mini ones. i guess you could say they look like black skirt tetras without the black and without the skirt. lol. so i guess they're naked tetras?? lol. yes. i was told their called "counterfeit" because they're not really silver dollars but look just like them.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
Peanut_Power said:
Interesting.....pictures!! :D Probably like most tetras....hopefully not like exodons...haha....
i'll try and get some pictures on monday if they're not all dead or sold out by then. usually when we get something really cool in, they all die. i have no clue why. i dont think they're like exodons. i put them in with silvertip tetras and they were fine. if anyone can get me any information what so ever, i'll be reeeeaaalllly grateful.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
ok, i found the scientific name.
CTENOBRYCON SPILURUS HAUXWELLIANUS

i also found a pic. i think some call them just plain 'ole silver tetras. now that i look at it, it really doesn't look much like a silver dollar at all. just a boring little silver tetra. bummer. :(

ctenobrycon_spilurus_hauxwellianus4.jpg

XFishPro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
North Carolina
This post is old, but I googled 'counterfeit silver dollar tetra' and this post appeared on the list. I just bought 3 of them from one of the local fish stores but they were called Counterfeit Silver Tetra and look slightly different from the pic that is posted on this thread. They are similer, but look more like a cross between the fish posted here and Diamond Tetras. Mine have the same body shape, but have an orangish/reddish spot on the upper eye like a Diamond, mine also have the irridescent shimmer like a Diamond, but the fins are greyish instead of opalescent like the Diamond. Mine also dont have the black spot right before the tailfin like the one pictured here. Also, on mine there is a hint of two verticalish bands right after the eyes but before the midsection. I have to also say that they are semi aggresive within their own and similerly shaped tets. Anyone have a more sense as to what these are?

XFishPro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
North Carolina
I became obsessed (like most of us I am sure) and searched and searched until I think I solved my own mystery. I found the closest thing to it, if not it being them. Brachychalcinus orbicularis, aka Discus Tetra:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store