Geophagus megasema info

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
so i was at my LFS, and they had some megasemas for sale, and since i don't see these around that much, i thought i would pick one up for my big tank or my 135g(might go with the cuties, if i do, i will pick up a few more), haven't decide yet, been working on my fish room:headbang2. Now i need some more info, i know they get around 7" max from what i read, but other than that i can't find to much info.
Pictures of full size?
Are they considered tapajos ll?
aggression?
any other particular info that might differ from the normal geo?

Thanks for any help and info.

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Odd you mention this species - I was just searching around the forum for these, since my lfs also has some for sale. They look quite striking, and yes I also read that they achieve approximate lenght of 7". Unfortunately, I did not find much else in the way of hard facts about these guys other than what google could provide. I am sure someone has kept these, and will chime in with some better info.

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
jag123;4294721; said:
Odd you mention this species - I was just searching around the forum for these, since my lfs also has some for sale. They look quite striking, and yes I also read that they achieve approximate lenght of 7". Unfortunately, I did not find much else in the way of hard facts about these guys other than what google could provide. I am sure someone has kept these, and will chime in with some better info.
ya i searched this forum and didn't find anything different than what google could barely provide. Its weird you guys got them too.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I have what I believe (and were sold) a pair of these guys.

The males pushing 6" with long extensions on the top and bottom of his tail and the females smaller, heavier and has smaller extensions. Mine aren't really aggressive and are in a 4' tank with krobia and acaras. They eat pellets flakes and red wiggler worms. They'd settle and breed with more peace than the acaras currently permit.

Megasema refers to the big spot on them.

Matt

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
dogofwar;4295025; said:
I have what I believe (and were sold) a pair of these guys.

The males pushing 6" with long extensions on the top and bottom of his tail and the females smaller, heavier and has smaller extensions. Mine aren't really aggressive and are in a 4' tank with krobia and acaras. They eat pellets flakes and red wiggler worms. They'd settle and breed with more peace than the acaras currently permit.

Megasema refers to the big spot on them.

Matt
Thanks for the info. The reason i ask about tapajos ll, it because rapps site has it and the link is for them but the picture says tapajos ll.
now all i need is pictures.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Honda asked me to chime in on the megasema discussion. I actually have some valid info to share in regards to this fish.

The 'megasema' that you are seeing (and that I have in fact imported for years under this same misnomer) is a species that occurs sympatrically with the red head Geos in the Rio Tapajos.

I had incorrectly applied the 'megasema' name to this fish after the exporters in Brazil had called it such for as long as I have seen them.
My bad. Sorry for perpetuating the masquerade.

The fish in question remains undescribed, but can be referred to as 'Tapajos ll' for the sake of consistency. That's what I've been calling it for about the past year.

Here is what the fish looks like.

The real megasema actually occurs about 1000 miles SW of the above species in the Rio Guapore river basin.

There really isn't any commercial collection of fish going on there, so that's why we have not seen this beauty circulating. Yet.

I have a recent photo provided for me by a contact with whom I am working to get this fish into the US trade. I have been trying to get it to appear below, but no success! I had to pull it from a clipboard of pics, but it appears to have uploaded ok. Maybe I'll send it to Honda via email and see if he can't post it? Sorry about that. It's a beauty!

honda237

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
kalamazoo, Michigan
thanks for the info jeff, so the one i purchased from my LFS is not a megasema, but more than likely this tapajos ll, correct?
My LFS is called Pruess pets, and they do order from you, did they get them from you? I thought i remember seeing on your list these tapajos ll.
They look like a very colorful geo, with lots of orange. Did you ever get a full sized one in before?
i got your email but the picture won't load on my smart phone or my laptop, like there is something wrong with the picture. I really want to see this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store