Outdoor Gourami Pond

KCK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2010
253, US.
Mostly an experiment...

I have a well insulated cooler in my backyard with about 8 gallons in it.
Next time I change the water im going to lower it to about 6"-8", about 4-5 gallons.

Where it is it will get a good amount of sun during the day, and I haven't yet established the heat schedule and how the day will cycle, I'm just hoping it works.

Right now its only 70F, but by the time i had it ready to go it didn't have much sun to absorb. Hopefully tomorrow will run a 75-82 average.

I have two "gold" gouramis, hoping they'll breed for feeders.

If they die I'm going to restart with a heater installed.

Any past experience will help.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Seems to be many other easier options for feeders.

Get a 10 gal. off craigslist and throw some live plants and live bearers in there.

KCK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2010
253, US.
@Muske I guess Gourami's grow really meaty really fast,
as apposed to waiting a few weeks just to get a bunch of small male guppies..

@manlyfish There wasn't an outdoor fish cooler section haha.

I came home at 10pm tonight and found that my dad forgot to put the lid on cooler.. So the night time cold air got to them..

The male is dead, but warranted.
The female is healthy and temporarily in a small fishbowl with a guppy in my room.

Im going to drain half the water until its about 6", and put the cooler in my room.

This time they will be fine.

+ I found out today that a bunch of aquatic snails sneaked in with my duckweed, so I'm gonna let those breed as well for my Dragon Goby.

I'll get another male tomorrow.

aznkidang

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Tx
KCK;4389795; said:
@Muske I guess Gourami's grow really meaty really fast,
as apposed to waiting a few weeks just to get a bunch of small male guppies..

@manlyfish There wasn't an outdoor fish cooler section haha.

I came home at 10pm tonight and found that my dad forgot to put the lid on cooler.. So the night time cold air got to them..

The male is dead, but warranted.
The female is healthy and temporarily in a small fishbowl with a guppy in my room.

Im going to drain half the water until its about 6", and put the cooler in my room.

This time they will be fine.

+ I found out today that a bunch of aquatic snails sneaked in with my duckweed, so I'm gonna let those breed as well for my Dragon Goby.

I'll get another male tomorrow.
Fish "bowl" o_O

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Not the easiest breeder due to the bubble nesting they use to breed

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Filter? Cycled filter?

KCK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2010
253, US.
@aznkidang Fish cooler haha.

@Yanbbrox The entire surface is riddled with duckweed, which is a floating plant.. The cooler was standin water, because gouramis breathe atmospheric air.

@I<3fish No filter, just water. But it's cycled yes.

The cooler's new location has been decided to the garage.
And I decided a few things..

When I got home at 10, the temperature was 70F, But they had already survived a night of 70F,
So I think they actually OVERheated during the daytime sun, as apposed to underheated.

KCK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2010
253, US.
@Specialk314 I'm almost embarrassed to say I don't know where to find a sponge filter and I don't know much about them. The gourami's are mere children, they have some growth to do.

We went to goodwill and got a bowfront eclipse tank, I think it's somewhere around 5g. The female is enjoying her new surroundings and I'm about to open the bag and let the male loose.

They are inside now, relying on room temperature. I have good faith in this, I think I win finally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store