6ft stand and hood build

Shannen_x5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2010
Ontario
Great job!
I didn't have the time nor the money to be able to finish my whole stand with doors and trim, but once I move out I will be adding it on.
Looks very good!

drivslo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
australia
yeah thanks mate , i no all the hinges and stuff can add up pretty fast , but yeah you can always put the dooors on later , thanks mate

Shannen_x5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2010
Ontario
any tips for building the hood?
That's the last thing I need to build.

The tank does not have a center brace.
I just bought the 72" light for it, but I really need a hood. Can't seem to find them anywhere (and if I find one, it will cost an arm and a leg) so I decided to build my own.
Any advice/detailed pictures or anything would be great, thanks!

drivslo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
australia
hey mate yeah the hood is pretty easy , say if your using plywood for the hood just cut it to say 140mm to 300mm depends on how high you want the hood , i used like a VJ board and cut it down to 240mm and then i cut it to the length of the tank and added 2mm for clearance . do the same with the sides . then with the skirting bits i just sat it down 20mm on the bottom and for the top just sit it up the thickness of your door so its all flush. get your mitres right and glue them . i added some like 45 degree blockes in the internal corners to keep it square and strong about 100mm by 100mm . then just cut the fixed panel for the top back of the hood ,then cut your door 5mm all round smaller. thats about it . the back is all open to run pipes and etc . you may need a support bracing piece through the middle if it sags depends on how wide your tank is . i wouldnt on yours . sorry for the mm i dont read in inches. all up the hood cost me about $50 , if u need a sketch and more photos just let me no cause it might sound a bit confusing in words lol .

francesfarmers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2011
West Point, UT
Looks good, I'm going to be working on a stand for my 90 this week. I'm pretty paranoid though about it holding the weight so I'm making mine extra sturdy and low. Your stand looks great but I'm not sure I'd trust it with that much weight! But again, I'm kinda paranoid...

steelayer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
MN
francesfarmers;5023130; said:
Looks good, I'm going to be working on a stand for my 90 this week. I'm pretty paranoid though about it holding the weight so I'm making mine extra sturdy and low. Your stand looks great but I'm not sure I'd trust it with that much weight! But again, I'm kinda paranoid...
I would trust the stand pictured to hold a car with no problems at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store