Can a broken water heater kill an Arowana?

doods

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
Saudi Arabia
Hi guys! I have this case were my friend arowana died. It all started when I came to feed the fish because my friend went on vacation so I have to take care of it. It was the 2nd time I feed the fish because I was checking on it every 2 days, the 2nd time I had notice that there were broken glass scattered on the sand floor. I quickly pulled the plug for the water heater and scoop the glass out of the water. I don't know when the fish broke the heater, because if it was after I visited, then it has been 2 days that the water heater is plugged in maybe electrocuting the arowana.

now after the discovery of the broken heater, the fish still ate when I came back for it after 2 days, so I checked everything and brought a new heater for the fish, after 2 days I came back and shock to discover the arowana is dead and floating in the tank.

My question is what cause the death of the arowana?
1. Did the fish died of electrocution? if so why did it take a long time for it to take effect?
2. Did the arowana accidentally swallowed some of the glass while it was swallowing the food from the bottom floor of the tank? because I'm not 100% sure that I scooped up all the glass out, I was thinking maybe some tiny glass got inhaled while swallowing the food and may cause digestion or internal problem with the arowana.
3. Are there components on the water heater that may cause water be harmful and even fatal to fish? I had read that the water heater has a component called polymeric filler and I googled polymeric and it says its harmful to fish. Need to know if this is true and if any other component of the heater can cause water problems.

I need to explain to my friend when he gets back the cause of the arowana death.

thank in advance guys.

Saterus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
Minnesota
I would suspect he swallowed glass as well but you never know what might have happened with the current in the water. I got shocked by several tanks at the LFS, broken heaters, exposed wires on hoods, etc. Never had a fish in one of those tanks die but I heard stories of large plecos and pacus dying from broken heaters. Some were a day or to after the heater was removed.
Dunno what killed them, just that they happened to be dead right after the heater broke.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
fish do not get electrocuted, since they have no contact with the ground.

it is the same with birds in electric wires.

We get eletrocuted because we have our feet on the ground and the current passes through us.

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
Miguel;4736307; said:

We get eletrocuted because we have our feet on the ground and the current passes through us.
x2

its probably just the temp change!

Richie_ELP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
El Paso, Texas, United States
Miguel;4736307; said:

if I could float off thr gound, I wouldn't get electrocuted?

doods

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
Saudi Arabia
So electricution is out of the way right guys? what if the fish accidentally bump on the broken heater? does he get shocked because of the contact with the metal part of the heater?
I don't think the temp change killed it because I changed the heater on the tank, and after like 4 days it just died on me.
Still have any idea? I'm still thinking about the chemicals that was use inside of the heater if it cause any toxic or polluted the water or something that can harm the arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store