Some of the species I like and appropriate tankmates: pictures

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
Most people are familiar with red cherry shrimp (neocaridina heteropoda var red) but they are a great little shrimp despite their commonality:
rcs.jpg

Neocaridina heteropoda var yellow:

neocaridina zhiajensis blue (blue pearl):

neocaridina zhiajensis white (snowball shrimp):

Caridina babaulti green

caridina babaulti cf stripes (dwarf zebra)
zebra shrimp.jpg

Amano shrimp (low order so doesn't breed in fw but AMAZING algae eater)
amanos on clado.jpg

malawa shrimp
malwa2.jpg

bumble bee shrimp
bumblebee.jpg

I like to keep my shrimp with microfish and other invertebrates. Some examples are pomacea diffusa ("mystery" apple snail) which do well as long as the shrimp are not too numerous.
brig.jpg

boraras brigittae (stay under 1")

dario dario

nerite snails

microcrabs

dwarf cories

habrosus.jpg

different ancistrus
ancistrus.jpg
calico.jpg

and many small tetras and rasboras
erythromicrons

galaxy rasboras

These are just a few examples. There is a lot more versatility out there for small tanks than ever before. The lists of microfishes and invertebrates becoming available for import is staggering. The majority of these species can be kept in a small desktop aquarium.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Wonderful pictures! I think this thread is a great idea as so many people ask what fish & other invertebrates can be kept with their shrimp.

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Males would be small enough, but are like any other livebearer, and start harassing others when there aren't females to keep them occupied. Females are big enough to eat the immature shrimp, and I doubt the shrimp would breed/proliferate.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
endlers do ok if there are tons of areas of dense moss. You won't see your shrimp as much either.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I like those Dario dario. They would fill the 300 nicely. LOL

wmpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
uk
you sure mico crabs will be ok with shrimp?

was looking at some the other day to put with cherries but thought the crabs might kill the shrimp espesially the small fry

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Great collection and great pix, Rach!!

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
wmpaul;4815033; said:
you sure mico crabs will be ok with shrimp?

was looking at some the other day to put with cherries but thought the crabs might kill the shrimp espesially the small fry

The ones I have pictured are limnopilos naiyanetri. They are 100% safe with shrimp. I keep them with IWB (Indian white backed/banded) and yellow neocaridina. The shrimp are much larger than the crabs. The crabs are detrivores and their claws are largely for show or eating, not so much defense. The crabs are about the diameter of a pencil eraser. I have been keeping them about 2 or 3 years with shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store