55+55+29= 139 gallons and 10.5 feet long

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
ok, my friend and i are going to connect two 55's and a 29 to make a 10.5' long tank. the plan is to replace the top and bottom rims with a strong wood like oak with cross braces every two feet. leaving the bottom to lay flat on the top of the stand, with a rim that only goes around the outside. with the vertical seems between tanks, there will be lots of silicone, and a wood brace that connects the top and bottom rims.
has anyone ever done something like this, and is there anything that i should know now before i learn the hard way?
we will be starting on saturday and there will be lots of pics :)

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
I like it!

just make sure it's sturdy and build it to the end foot print...Maybe think about trimming the end caps so that the tanks fit flush together?

Got the gears going!

scott_n06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2010
NW MIssouri
:DI cant wait to see this. It sounds awesome.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
and then fill it with 200 tetras, seriously what would you put in that?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
he was talking about having the bottom completly flat again the stand though. No way you could have a brace if you did it like that. I agree it is do-able, but might want to rethink a few things before siliconing the S%*t out of this thing LOL

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Yeah, I would have one stand, a single base that is perfectly flat, maybe wrap the base of the tank in 1" aluminum angle stock and the same on the top. I would leave maybe 1/16” gap between the glass panels that are butted up to each other. Give the glass some room to find its own level without the possibility of the glass scraping against each other and shattering. The thing with 55 gallon tanks is they are all tempered so one chip and the whole panel shatters. The good part, tempered is very very strong.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
MyFishEatYourFish;5043814; said:
ok, my friend and i are going to connect two 55's and a 29 to make a 10.5' long tank. the plan is to replace the top and bottom rims with a strong wood like oak with cross braces every two feet. leaving the bottom to lay flat on the top of the stand, with a rim that only goes around the outside. with the vertical seems between tanks, there will be lots of silicone, and a wood brace that connects the top and bottom rims.
has anyone ever done something like this, and is there anything that i should know now before i learn the hard way?
we will be starting on saturday and there will be lots of pics :)
You're not going to make that work with the 29 gallon in the mix due to the slight difference in dimensions between that and the 55 gallons.

However, it should be fine with just the two 55 gallons connected to each other with plenty of bracing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store