Flowerhorn raising fry in community 180

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
These fish were given to me buy 2 individuals who labeled them too aggressive. Further the big male was represented as sterile. The smaller female Red Devil took up with the big Flowerhorn (Midas?) male and they setup housekeeping in the large ceramic pot. The first batch of eggs laid in nice evenly spaced parallel rows turned white in a day or so and were covered with fungus almost at once. The male Flowerhorn never entered the pot while the eggs were being laid; was the male sterile or just inattentive? The second batch yielded about 200 wigglers which both parents kept clean and well protected. I used an airline siphon to remove them from the back of the pot. They are the larger fish in the 120 gallon aquarium; the second photo showing 200 fry mixed in with about 300 others, younger by 30 days. When I went after the 3rd batch of wigglers, the Flowerhorn bit me. When I return to get the wigglers after cleaning up the wound, the wiggler fry had vanished. Did the parents eat their offspring to save them? Several days later both parents were digging up mouthfuls of sand and spitting it out in the pot. Mixed in with the sand were about 200 fry which were starting to swim. I Left them in the community 180 just to see how long they would last. Now 30 days later they are doing fine. The other fish have been driven away from the Flowerhorn end of the tank including the African Lungfish. The fry somehow have learned just how far they can travel away from their end of the tank and venture no further. They are eating very well and are about as large as the prior batch of fry which are 30 days older.

How long will it take for the fry to get some red color? Am I obligated to give the original owners of the fish pick of the litter? Will any of these fish become as spectacular as the parents? What is a Flowerhorn anyway and are these fry true Flowerhorn or something else?

Sorry, I will get the photos up shortly.

Sorry, I will get the photos up shortly.

This is a link to my fish collection: http://anythingfish.com/images/Ted/PhotoGallery/TedsMasterIndex.htm

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
they wont turn red for quite a while , I have a nice male and it took 3 months before he started showing off

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
BIG REDD said:
nice fish. Are you selling and willing to ship?
The fish are doing well however no color showing as yet. I have been thinking about shipping a half dozen 3/4" to 1" fish in a bag in the mail, Priority Mail 2 day delivery. I am located in Washington State and would like to try some experimental shipments to distant states at no charge to members who will report back on the fish condition and how they fair over time.

I kept a dozen or so 1/2" fry in a small 1 pint bag sealed up for 30 days with no food and no water changes. They are doing fine now in a 2 quart jar with occasional food and 25% water changes weekly. They are growing some although they are less than 1/2 the size of the other fry from the same batch.

If you will raise them in 1 gallon or larger container and want to play around with some fish send me a private message through monsterfishkeepers.com

My Web Site: http:www.anythingfish.com

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
When I was in GZ China, I had the opportunity to talk with a farmer of discus/FH he said he wouldn't start culling (outside of belly bouncers and runts) until about the 3 month. 2 month should the the first chance to see who they're going to take after. Nice job btw, I think you have yourself a good source of income if you treat it right and don't get greedy. :cheers:

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
Put me down for a trial shipment....and I don't mind paying for the shipping....I would recomend using overnight...but it's your call.

Don't forget to use something to netualize the amonia, a sponge does a great job and don't feed the guys 1 day before shipping....3 days for larger fish. O2 does a good job also. 1 part water 3 parts air.

I know that you prob know all this but never hurts to remind people.

Thanks. Repair

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store