My first eel =)

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
At some point id like to get a large TT or Fire eel but decided to start out a bit smaller. A few days ago my lfs got some peacock eels in so i picked one up. The day after i got him he was checking out bloodworms i was holding in front of him but wouldnt take em. I switched to cut up worms and he takes em right from my fingers. I thought peacocks were sposed to be really shy but hes def not. Its by no means monster but i really like him. :D
oh and before anyone says anything i know youre not supposed to keep them on gravel but that tank just happened to end up being my QT so its only temporary.
peacock eel.jpg

peacock eel.jpg

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Looks like he is settled in. Not shy to eat.

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
Yeah i fully expected for it to hide under a rock and never come out so im very happy that thats not the case at all. I havent even had him a week and when i put my hand in or even near the tank he comes right out. Its made me want a bigger eel even more..

daleteekz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Love the eel! I got one about 1-2 months ago. How do you get it to eat frozen foods? Mine will only eat live blood worms. The frozen stuff, he sees it moving in the current, but once he figures out it is not alive, he ignores it. Any tricks to it?

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
Honestly i have no idea. Mine will only eat cut up red worms. He'll come out and check out frozen bloodworms and even taste em but always spits em back out. He's a cool little guy tho so i guess for now im stuck cutting up worms...

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I have always kept my peacocks on gravel with no problems. And iv grown them big ;)

Nice peacock. I gave my last one away. I need another one. And an army of pictus catfish :D

As far as food, I would just drop in frozen bloodworks in the evening. They would always eat at thier own liesure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store