Predator ick immunity?

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I heard predator fishs immune system is stronger than normal fishs. ATFs, Tarpons,pbass, piranhas, armatus, wolf fishs, snake heads ect. Do they have a higher icks immunity level because in the wild they eat sick and dying fishs. I know all fishs can get ink but is true that predator fish is less likely to get icks?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
I heard predator fishs immune system is stronger than normal fishs. ATFs, Tarpons,pbass, piranhas, armatus, wolf fishs, snake heads ect. Do they have a higher icks immunity level because in the wild they eat sick and dying fishs. I know all fishs can get ink but is true that predator fish is less likely to get icks?
That's not true. Pbass can get ick. It's hard to notice ick on fish with shiny scale like ATF, tarpon, or armatus... The one thing I can think of is when those fish at decent size, they don't get stress easily, thus, don't get ick often like other fish...

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
That's not true. Pbass can get ick. It's hard to notice ick on fish with shiny scale like ATF, tarpon, or armatus... The one thing I can think of is when those fish at decent size, they don't get stress easily, thus, don't get ick often like other fish...
What about eating sick feeders, in the wild they hunt for the quick easy kill like sick and injured disease fishs. I would think their immune system is great.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
What about eating sick feeders, in the wild they hunt for the quick easy kill like sick and injured disease fishs. I would think their immune system is great.
Stress will bring out ick on any fish before sick feeders. These guys don't hunt for sick and injured disease fish. They inflict injury on their pray... Have you watched your atf during feeding time? Do they go after a near dead feeder floating around, or do they chase and chop the big, fat feeders in half and eat it off?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Its harder for scaled fish to get ick and in the wild its alot more rare cuz their not kept in a small aquarium and basically trapped. In the wild they have unlimited amount of space to go or hide. Ive never caught a fish in nature with nasty white bumps. And piranhas are very tough never seen one w/ ick either

#1 S. Vettel

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Its harder for scaled fish to get ick and in the wild its alot more rare cuz their not kept in a small aquarium and basically trapped. In the wild they have unlimited amount of space to go or hide. Ive never caught a fish in nature with nasty white bumps. And piranhas are very tough never seen one w/ ick either

#1 S. Vettel
I never seen piranhas with icks. My tarpon never had icks, not saying it will never get icks. Well the good thing is it easy to cure scalely fishs than scaleless fishs.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Stress will bring out ick on any fish before sick feeders. These guys don't hunt for sick and injured disease fish. They inflict injury on their pray... Have you watched your atf during feeding time? Do they go after a near dead feeder floating around, or do they chase and chop the big, fat feeders in half and eat it off?
True, my atfs seem they like the thrill of chase and choping.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
The easiest way to PREVENT ICK is too have clean water w/ little nitrates (5-20) no nitrites and NO AMMONIA!!

IMHO dirty water is the biggest stress to fish they can have, its like US having dirty air and suffocating!!

Once u test and figure out ur nitrate peak (bio load capacity) you can see how many times per week to change. That way ur nitrates will barely fluctuate and ur fish will grow faster and have better immune system properties!!!

#1 S. Vettel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store