Need opinions

montyblue

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
US
I haven't had the breeding experience that a lot of others have on here, but once my male leo matured he went crazy on all my females (which were all smaller than he was) and one ended up dying. Personally I don't think I'll combine almost mature or mature males that are larger than my females together again, or at least not without a super close eye on them. So many here have much more experience with maturing and mature males, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth of experience :)

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
If the male is not mature then they would probably be fine together until he matures. Once he matures it will be a toss up, might be fine, might not. Some males will breed with any female they can find, others will stick to there own species. If your going to try it you'll need to have another tank standing by to move one of them to if there is trouble down the road.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Well, the slight bonus you'd have is that a 10" male Henlei will likely take quite a while to mature unless he's stunted and already approaching maturity.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Ive had pretty much the same experiences as johng. Its a toss up

I had a mature male that was ok with having pups in his tank and some of my males just swim around biting everyone lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store