Driftwood and Cloudy Water?

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
Could adding driftwood into a tank result in water cloudiness? I did my normal, weekly water change on both of my tanks and when I refilled it the water was a "tad" cloudy. I added the usual chemicals like I always do (stress zyme, water conditioner, etc.) Sometimes the cloudiness has happens to me so in the past, I just add some water clarifyer and within hours I'm usually OK. This time around it didn't clear up... in fact, after a day or 2, the tank became so cloudy that I could barely see the fish. The only difference this time was that I added some pieces of driftwood into the tank. Before I added the driftwood, it was sitting in water that was initially boiled for a few days. This actually happened about 2 weeks ago and my immediate solution was to take the wood out and do a water change. Since then, my water is back to normal but I'm temped to try to add the wood in again...

Has driftwood been known to cause cloudiness in water? What might I be doing wrong? I have a 125 and a 72 that I would like to use this in.

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
what color is your "Cloudy Water".. Sometimes drift wood will tint your water with a redish / brown look as it bleaches but that will typically go way after a month with regular water changes. I never seen drift wood "cloud" the water with a white cloud before... That sounds like a Bactria bloom to me.. Make sure when you do your water changes to turn your filters off and avoid running tap water through them before allowing the chems in your water conditioner to mix with your water before turning them back on.. Sounds to me like you may be killing all / most the "good bactria" during your water change and causing a Bactria bloom perhaps which will cause your water to Cloud up all white.. Just a thought! ;)

Raven20

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2011
Baltimore
It's leaching a thing called Tannins...should make the water look like iced tea...i would take it out and keep soaking it in a 5 gal bucket....change the water in the bucket every couple of days..

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
I bought it from Petsmart... it was actually Reptile Driftwood.
Yeah you can use that for your fish tank but it will usually get a nasty slim coat and smell bad for the first week or so. You can either take it out and wash off the slim coat or if you have a pleco, they love to eat it. It will be fine, give it a week or so. I have use this wood too and IME has happened.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Could adding driftwood into a tank result in water cloudiness? I did my normal, weekly water change on both of my tanks and when I refilled it the water was a "tad" cloudy. I added the usual chemicals like I always do (stress zyme, water conditioner, etc.) Sometimes the cloudiness has happens to me so in the past, I just add some water clarifyer and within hours I'm usually OK. This time around it didn't clear up... in fact, after a day or 2, the tank became so cloudy that I could barely see the fish. The only difference this time was that I added some pieces of driftwood into the tank. Before I added the driftwood, it was sitting in water that was initially boiled for a few days. This actually happened about 2 weeks ago and my immediate solution was to take the wood out and do a water change. Since then, my water is back to normal but I'm temped to try to add the wood in again...

Has driftwood been known to cause cloudiness in water? What might I be doing wrong? I have a 125 and a 72 that I would like to use this in.
It could have lowered ur ph and buffering capacity and since its reptile wood it may not be aquarium safe. Test ur water, high nitrates means it could be bacteria bloom

#1 S. Vettel

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
Thanks for the quick replies... it's all making sense and coming together now.

@F1 Vet - Is there anything I can do to make it "safe" other than boiling it?

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
Thanks for the quick replies... it's all making sense and coming together now.

@F1 Vet - Is there anything I can do to make it "safe" other than boiling it?

It's already "Safe"...It just needs to leech out is all. Use a bucket or keep it in your tank and do water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store