Mini Monster of a fish.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
The only reason why I bought a pair of convict cichlids in the first place, was to give myself a nice, parental easy cichlid to breed. I didn't know that dang fish would multiply enough to inhabit an entire 55 gallon, chase all the other fish into my newly setup 30 gallon (at the time), and keep on multiplying enough for my mom to have to bring some of those fish to her pediatric clinic to give to some of her patients. I even had to put one in the 30 gallon! Unfortunately, said 55 gallon of fish crashed a few years back due to a malfunctioning heater while I was on a week long vacation. You have no idea what a 55 gallon tank that is hot to the thouch, full of about 50 something decaying fish bodies smells like. Ew. Anyways, back story over, here's my problem.

That one convict cichlid that I have right now? He's a monster. I'm pretty sure that he ripped the eyes out of one of my black skirt tetras, and tortured an old blind one to death. I'm for sure certain that he mauled an old pictus catfish to death by ripping the tail to pieces, showing part of the fish' spine!!! What do I even do with a fish like this? I don't want to give it away, and to me euthanization is not possible since the fish isn't suffering. What do I do? The fish is too small to be a "pet" fish like an oscar would be, and I would hate to move it to any tank smaller than it's current 30 gallon. In a few weeks, I'll be able to move it outside, where it shall feast upon the fry of WCMM's. But what do I even do with a fish like this? What tankmates would I even put with it? The only good aspect of it, is that it doesn't bother plants. Help?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
evil violent little fish can make the best pets. with no other tank mates. after he realizes there's no fish to mess with he may focus on owner and be very fun.
How big is he now? might not need 30G if tank is well maintained.
I have an african kenyi like that. became a super pet in 20G. he even recognizes owners vs strangers.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Oh he's a good 3.5-4 inches. The problem is not with the tank size, it's with the fact that I can't keep any more tanks! My parents have put a cap on the number of tanks in the house, and want me to start bringing the number of tanks in the house down. The only tanks big enough are a 55 gallon (saltwater), a 29 gallon (meant as a peaceful planted tank for tiny fish), and the 30 gallon.

How does one keep such a fish as a pet? I'm failing to see how...

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Trade him in at a LFS (give him to them) and get some younger convicts. Convicts hang around with dovi in the wild so they have to be nasty to survive. If I were you I would look into another small cichlid that does`nt behave quite that badly.

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
I have a little black convict survivor. Brought him a bunch home to feed my baby predators. He survived and is now 3" always fighting with the peacock bass that are 5-7" and ate his siblings lol. He's a mean little guy.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a little black convict survivor. Brought him a bunch home to feed my baby predators. He survived and is now 3" always fighting with the peacock bass that are 5-7" and ate his siblings lol. He's a mean little guy.
lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store