looking to pick up an HD videocamera

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Anyone have any advice on particular brands or models? I want to start a fish related youtube channel and need some help deciding on a model. Ideally, I would be able to shoot in the highest quality HD and take decent stills. I am also on a budget. Any advice would be amazing. Thanks. Sorry if this isn't the proper channel for this--if so, please kindly redirect me.

Here is a shot I recently took that I'm pretty proud of. Really wish I had snapped it with something other than my garbage camera phone. You win some, you lose the others. CAM05856.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've seen members using the new IPhone6 and Galaxy6 with awesome results, but at $600, not budget friendly.

For videos, there's always Go-Pro

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've used the GoPro Hero II for the last couple years.
Affordable compared to most underwater housings (without camera).
below are a couple videos I used it for
underwater in Mexico
in the back yard, shooting my fractionator

Reactions: Kaia

Fluidsuit

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2016
Seattle
www.youtube.com
Anyone have any advice on particular brands or models? I want to start a fish related youtube channel and need some help deciding on a model. Ideally, I would be able to shoot in the highest quality HD and take decent stills. I am also on a budget. Any advice would be amazing. Thanks. Sorry if this isn't the proper channel for this--if so, please kindly redirect me.

Here is a shot I recently took that I'm pretty proud of. Really wish I had snapped it with something other than my garbage camera phone. You win some, you lose the others. View attachment 1127341
I'm happy with my Nikon D5300. It does 1080p60 which is always nice to look at.

Razzo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
Northern Indiana
A nice DSLR from either Canon or Nikon would do an excellent job of both video and stills. I would have to give Canon a slight edge on the video side of the fence and on the still side, that is hotly debated based on who you ask and what series platform they are using. If you can afford it, try to get into a camera with a full frame sensor (you won't regret it later). Both MFG have excellent entry level cameras with some amazing tech for the price point. If you have a friend or family member with a significant lens collection that would not mind loaning to you, that would influence my decision on which MFG to choose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store