EBJD Pair

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Male EBJD (Pride) is now the happy (totally P-O'ed at anyone who gets within 5' of the tank) father of about 400 BlueGene JD fry which hatched out early Wed morning after Mother's Day. There were about 500 little buggers but my MINIFISHKEEPER.lol side of me yielded quite a few delicacies to my group of 6 dwarf yellow-bellied puffers. Crazy thing is that Pride (the male EBJD) is 7.5" long and his little female WildType is 3" long, er-uh, short. And will post pics as soon as the .jpeg bug is fixed.
No... Sorry... I will withhold how the pairing was accomplished without him killing her, or even injuring her in any way.
P.S. getting them drunk doesn't work, so don't even try it.
20150503_190133.jpg

Cleopatra01031815.jpeg.jpg

20150531_005846.jpg

blue fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nice looking blues there ShadowP. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll send some in(computer illiterate):confused:. I started in march 2013 and am on my 3rd generation, lots of highs and lows but well worth the time and effort. If enough people like u and myself continue to try and bring more diversity to these beautiful fish maybe they will eventually become as hearty as their wild kin. Keep up the good work! Post more pics as your project progresses. As far as breeding my male blues are fairly docile, usually I worry about the females being too rough (torn fins on my males) they really go at it after the eggs hatch and are in the wiggler stage. Again, good luck!

blue fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nice looking blues there ShadowP. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll send some in(computer illiterate):confused:. I started in march 2013 and am on my 3rd generation, lots of highs and lows but well worth the time and effort. If enough people like u and myself continue to try and bring more diversity to these beautiful fish maybe they will eventually become as hearty as their wild kin. Keep up the good work! Post more pics as your project progresses. As far as breeding my male blues are fairly docile, usually I worry about the females being too rough (torn fins on my males) they really go at it after the eggs hatch and are in the wiggler stage. Again, good luck!
Here are a couple of pics.20150604_103134.jpg20150604_103514.jpg

20150604_104737.jpg

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
[QUOTEI"blue fish, post: 7281776, member: 137922"]Biggest fish in last pic is 2 years old and 9 inches, amazing what beef heart will do.[/QUOTE]

Pride is fastly gaining on your 9" EBJD. Now he's 20 months old and 8 1/2 inches. His little wild type mate gained about 3/4 inches since they spawned 5 weeks ago. Here she is now (taken 12 June '15) in all her 3.75" finery.20150612_224812.jpg
The majority of their tank is shielded with a soft foam wrap to give them a bit of privacy. Pride was ramming the glass anytime someone entered the room. Some of the over 120 fry can be seen above the slate and scattered throughout the photo. My puffers and dwarf neon blue rainbows are in excellent condition now (having feasted on over 500 fry this past month).

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Biggest fish in last pic is 2 years old and 9 inches, amazing what beef heart will do.
20150612_220201.jpgAmazing what earthworms and guppies/platties/swords/and convict cichlid fry will do!!!
His dorsal fin is almost fully healed now too. It was terribly split from a battle he lost with angelfish when he was first acquired. I trimmed it on Jan 7th this year.

Last edited:

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Update... 29 gal they bred in now purely fry raising tank. Here's a pic of the 40B breeder tank for Pride & Joy. I named this decor style "The Dark Side". It's almost finished cycling in.20150624_221021-1.jpg
The only lighting is from a Solar Flare 115.
The driftwood provides massive shading effects, and the only live plants are Pella on the bottom and starter clumps of Riccia on the surface. Let's see them dig those up!
The Pellais kept in the lighted areas by water flow patterns. What the fish push or tear out of the clumps, returns to the main clump within a few minutes.

Last edited:

blue fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
pdate... 29 gal they bred in now purely fry raising tank. Here's a pic of the 40B breeder tank for Pride & Joy. I named this decor style "The Dark Side". It's almost finished cycling in.View attachment 1127350
The only lighting is from a Solar Flare 115.
The driftwood provides massive shading effects, and the only live plants are Pella on the bottom and starter clumps of Riccia on the surface. Let's see them dig those up!
The Pellais kept in the lighted areas by water flow patterns. What the fish push or tear out of the clumps, returns to the main clump within a few minutes.
The dark side looks awesome, the fish should love it, plenty of places to lurk about and wait to ambush something!

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015

The dark side looks awesome, the fish should love it, plenty of places to lurk about and wait to ambush something!
Darkside well received by Pride & Joy... Spawn #2 from them 5 days ago... no hatches... bluegene juveniles doing exceptionally well at only 7.5 wks old with many approacing 1" and they're starting to color up with some blue areas showing on sides, esp behind the upper gill area. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store