Best Methods You Found to Entice a New Shark to Eat

dallen2233

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2015
Texas
Well I just recently (within the past few days) got a marbled cat shark and I was wondering the best way to get it to eat. I've tried the method of putting food (shrimp and scallops) infront of its face and even moved it around, but she doesn't go for it. I may try ordering some ghost shrimp and try that method, unless you guys have a better method. Pic below.

20150626_060452.jpg

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
They won't.... go get fresh or frozen squid! It needs to be stinky/oily to get them used to your feeding and then they will adapt. Mine did the same thing with shrimp and scallops.

Reactions: Thekid

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Blood!:D

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Salmon is a great food to get picky eaters eating but very oily as L8braker mentioned.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Ok I went a few weeks with fish and had to target feed the marbled as he would not come out at all. Today I went back to some squid and boom he was out swimming around within 15-20 seconds of introducing the squid. Another odd fact is my blue line grouper was spitting out the squid and would not eat it. I normally switch up the food sources but think I am going to start mixing up different food sources into one feeding. smelt, squid and choose scallops or shrimp is a good base. Hope this helps

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Sometimes they don't eat at first and could go a week or more before they are interested in food. Squid is a great first food to try. If that fails, fw mollies are another good way to trigger an initial feeding response.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store