one of my odoe pikes

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
One of my odoe pikes :) and with a question..does anyone have experience with keeping them with armatus payara? They tried to scare off florida gar, but after being annoyed, he made facebite to one of the pikes..never had any prob ever since.. wonder what would be reaction when they meet armatus at similar size :)

10984160_1592246431031399_5465353638748863051_n.jpeg

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I don't know how long you gonna keep these fishes but the pike is potentially become armatus expensive snack in future...if the pike doesn't kill the armatus before it out grow the pike.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Only silver fish I have with mine is a bala shark and he chases him maybe once a day but never left a bite mark, but they're said to not like other silver fish. I wouldn't go and say necessarily that the armatus would be out right killed, but it's possible. It's also possible that the armatus, if deciding to defend itself, can make a fatal blow as well. And as others have stated as the armatus grows the Odoe can be a potential meal, though ime, most fish, when grown together or introduced after a possible meal, don't eat them. So having the Odoe first and if they don't kill eachother and grow together, I doubt the armatus would eat the odoe. But there's always a possibility.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Well then i will take that as no-go :) both fishes are quite expensive and wouldnt like to loose any of them (even if they would be cheap..they are way too cool..but unfortually im stucked with one tank only)

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
Only silver fish I have with mine is a bala shark and he chases him maybe once a day but never left a bite mark, but they're said to not like other silver fish. I wouldn't go and say necessarily that the armatus would be out right killed, but it's possible. It's also possible that the armatus, if deciding to defend itself, can make a fatal blow as well. And as others have stated as the armatus grows the Odoe can be a potential meal, though ime, most fish, when grown together or introduced after a possible meal, don't eat them. So having the Odoe first and if they don't kill eachother and grow together, I doubt the armatus would eat the odoe. But there's always a possibility.
image.jpg

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
This was from my odoe. Payara is healed up now. Both around 9 inches and every now and then this happens. Only big tank I have ....so they have to deal with each other. It's normally when I get in the tank the tat get jumpy and swims all over real fast and seems to trigger the attack from odoe. So I try to be real calm and quiet as I can.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
This was from my odoe. Payara is healed up now. Both around 9 inches and every now and then this happens. Only big tank I have ....so they have to deal with each other. It's normally when I get in the tank the tat get jumpy and swims all over real fast and seems to trigger the attack from odoe. So I try to be real calm and quiet as I can.
If he's inflicting bites like that you may want to consider separating the two or parting with one, the tats are sensitive and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets and infection and dies from bites like that.

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
If he's inflicting bites like that you may want to consider separating the two or parting with one, the tats are sensitive and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets and infection and dies from bites like that.
I know...I hate it cause they are both awesome fish. The tat has healed fine now. But I have been considering taking him to lfs and trade him in. How do odoes get along with other odoes? He has several of them and was thinking about that. I have them in a 200

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I know...I hate it cause they are both awesome fish. The tat has healed fine now. But I have been considering taking him to lfs and trade him in. How do odoes get along with other odoes? He has several of them and was thinking about that. I have them in a 200
It's been done, but in the case a pair forms the other odoes will be harassed and you'll be stuck with a pair, if you wanna do that I'd say don't go with any less than 4 or 5 odoes. Males tend to keep fighting with eachother from what I've read. Yours is a female though from the pictures you shared.

Reactions: Aronus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store