My Big Tanks and Fish:)

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Hi guys! I created a youtube channel to feature my collection:)

please do subscribe as i did this with this community in mind:) i post vids on a weekly basis and am planning on profiles and what not:)

Enjoy!

For all it's worth i also made an FB page (MonsterFishMNL) and an Instagram account for pics:)

Reactions: jclyde13

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Cool!

How is it that you are keeping a saltwater tarpon in f/w?

Who's biting the wallago?

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Cool!

How is it that you are keeping a saltwater tarpon in f/w?

Who's biting the wallago?
the tarpon was in f/w when i got him:/ he grew like weed and pretty much stayed healthy :)

I think it's either the planiceps or the RTCxTSN but leaning towards the RTCxTSN.. that guy is nasty and makes me think why i even got him since i'm not really a fan of hybrids:(

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What size was the tarpon when you got it? Here, they can adapt to f/w when landlocked. IDK what percentage adapts and what perishes or if there are significant deleterious effects of living in f/w instead of s/w. In s/w they can reach 8'.

My RTCxTSN (starting size 1.5', size at accidental death 2.5' after ~3 years) was docile to the best of my knowledge. I hope you leave a night light for them. Without it, you'd be asking for trouble.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
i think it was around 4-5" it grew to almost 2' in almost a year. idk where they collected mine but i'd think it adapted pretty well thus far since it was very little when i got here. for the prolonged effects of keeping it in a fw tank, i hope there wont be much or any deleterious effects. However, i've seen some big ones (4-6') communed in large aquarias here and on youtube if im not mistaken. at that size i dont think they were collected from the sea coz maybe they wouldn't adapt too well due to being used to the salinity of the sea. but im no expert:/

my rtcxtsn is pretty much like cliff's. if i remember it right his was a bully too. i keep two small lights on 24/7 just so the other plants could thrive and nobody gets ambushed that easily since the cats almost wiped out my cichla collection a few months back.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
BV: i think it was around 4-5" it grew to almost 2' in almost a year.
TBTB: Nice! My two Asians only went from ~4" to ~8" in one year but I had MAJOR problems getting them off live foods, fish and insects was all they wanted. And Asians of course grow smaller.

BV: ... However, i've seen some big ones (4-6') communed in large aquarias here and on youtube if im not mistaken.
TBTB: Next time you come across a link, I'd appreciate it.

BV: ... at that size i dont think they were collected from the sea coz maybe they wouldn't adapt too well due to being used to the salinity of the sea. but im no expert:/
TBTB: When tarpon get trapped here, e.g. as a result of seasonal water level fluctuations (on my property, ground water level drops 6'+ from the high of the wet season to the low of the dry season), floods, storm surges, etc., I'd think various sizes get trapped and landlocked, and it is important to note they get trapped in brackish water. They don't go straight from s/w to f/w... and then the brackish slowly loses the salinity due to rains and municipal water management until next flood. I'd agree that smaller ones could be expected to adapt easier.

BV: my rtcxtsn is pretty much like cliff's. if i remember it right his was a bully too.
TBTB: Yes but in a 300 gal tub.

BV: i keep two small lights on 24/7 just so the other plants could thrive and nobody gets ambushed that easily since the cats almost wiped out my cichla collection a few months back.
TBTB: Really? Tell us more, please, esp. the sizes of prey and predators.

BV: i noticed the aggression of the rtcxtsn when he would pester my marble and tsn and then he attacked my himantura ray a few weeks ago.
TBTB: Looks like it was brought up without love. But seriously it is good to realize specimen differ.

Reactions: bobVillanueva

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store